Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15 dc0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello HP hivemind, 

Recently I suddenly noticed a problem with my HP Omen 15 laptop. Whenever the AC cable is removed from the laptop while it is on, it immediately shuts down. No warning of low battery, nothing else, just a immediate shut down. When I try to boot the laptop without the AC cable, it does nothing. When turned on, it says the battery is at 100% charge. The last time I know for certain that the battery was still working to keep the laptop functioning was about 10 days ago when I had to move the laptop from one spot to another and disconnected the cable for that. Normally I can use and game on it for about an hour before it shuts down because of a lack of power. Searching the internet finds no others with the same problem. 

I have tried the following steps to resolve the problem: 

Uninstalling and re-installing the battery drivers, 

Changing to a softer battery profile to conserve power in case of battery usage, 

Unplugged the internal battery to check for any rust on the connector port. There wasn't. 

Checked the battery status using HP battery check. All systems say it is still in great condition. 99/1000 cycles.

What I did find however, was that after I had disconnected the battery and reconnected it, the laptop booted (when also connected to the AC) with a BIOS screen which it normally doesn't. Which means that there is still some sort of connection between the battery and the laptop. 

I am only very limited in my tech savvyness, but hope someone can give some ideas as to how I can solve this without an expansive mechanic. 

Kind regards, 

Azgrut. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Azgrut

Welcome to HP Support Community

I appreciate all your efforts and expertise in Troubleshooting this issue

Try updating the BIOS and let me know if the issue persists. Reseat the Battery as well once again

Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you CrazyToad for your help. 

I have tried your solutions, updating the BIOS and reseating the battery. While the battery was out, I also took the time to press and hold the power button to remove any lingering static in the laptop. 

However, it did not solve the issue. It did not change the reaction of the laptop to removing the power cord at all. I haven't found any other solutions on the internet yet. Hopefully you have some other steps I can try?

Kind regards, 

Agrut

HP Recommended

Please try running the Battery Test from F2 Diagnostic and let me know the results

- Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the Notebook.

- Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second.

- When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

- On the main menu, click Component Tests and Power > Battery

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello KrazyToad, 

I did the steps you instructed me to. I photocopied the results, both the initial screen and the detailed screen. It said it couldn't do a Charge State test because the battery was fully charged. However, as you can understand, I am unable to de-charge it since the computer doesn't work without a cable attached. 

Thanks a lot for your help! I am really happy with your support. 🙂

-Edit- I see that the pictures do not load properly on my computer so maybe they got uploaded wrong. The results where as follows:

Battery check Primary OK (0)

Primary: Logic State OK (0), Charge state - Not avaliable

2nd Screen:

Charge Capacity 77%

Warrenty typ 3, 

Cycle Count 99

Age 940 days

Temp 33C

Current 0 mA

AC power Yes

Battery Status OK(0)

Logic State OK (0)

Charge State Not Avaliable

Failure ID OK

And then some info about voltage. All cells show voltage above 4000mV

Hope this is enought info. 

20210206_171701.jpg20210206_171712.jpg

HP Recommended

Thank you for the details

I this point I suggest you contact HP Support in your region for further assistance

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ 
2) Select your product type below.
3) Enter the serial of your device. 
4) Select the country from the drop-down. 
5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 
6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.