Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP - 17-an012dx (shows an0xx)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just purchased the OMEN by HP - 17-an012dx. In HP Support Assistant it shows OMEN by HP Laptop 17-an0xx. The website directed me to an012dx. Gave up my 15-au10wm with 940m to get this machine. I noticed device manager only shows the RX580 8gb and not the intel hd 630 graphics that intel says comes with the the i7-7700hq cpu. This was a bummer as there is no intel hd for lower power consumption or if for some reason the RX580 must be uninstalled in device manager. But oh well. No back up graphics. I love the machine, but im still on the fence about keeping it. Here are some issues I have found. Really want to keep it but I need more info.

#1 no integrated graphics from intel.

#2 radeon settings seem to disappear after being force to hard reset after crash. The display still works after hard reset and device manager still shows the only display adapter there is but you have to reinstall the amd software to reinstall the graphics driver to gain control of the RX580. Playing DOOM and crashing caused this and falling asleep during a windows update letting the computer put itself to sleep resulted in a black screen. I had not heard about the waiting 15 to 30 minutes yet but after a hard reset everything was working. Doom crashed a second time today and I had to reinstall the old recommended driver by reinstalling the amd setup software again. I should note the first time it happened i clean installed the optional driver from the setup utility. This second time i have returned to the recommended driver. If we uninstall the display adapter from device manager will the screen stop working? I would like to know more about this issues as it could be a deal breaker. This is the only omen laptop that I would buy for the price point right now. Would like to know how to take care of this thing. All the do's and dont't. Every machine configuration has them and all are unique. This is also my first time messing with AMD. Already freaked out.

#3 An issue involving the RX580 clock speed after going to sleep. I figured this out the first time I had to hard reset back at the first crash. At first I didnt realize it was clock speed (I discovered this from another users post in these forums. Here is a link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Please-fix-the-Bios-issue-with-GPU-cl...

All I knew was that games had suddenly crippled in performance and was getting ready to return laptop. I remember how my previous hp laptop had to be plugged into play and took a wild geuss. Unplugged and replugged while running and magic. Fps went from 40s to 100s. Still feel like performance has slightly decreased after that but i can not really tell.

#4 There is just not that much info about the machine and using it. Do they break?  Do people mess up the RX580 or end up loosing the screen by having to uninstall in device manager trying to properly reinstall drivers? Everybody who bought this should be on here talking about it.

As I stated above. I really like the machine (except that it doesnt fit in my bag and other issues above). I wanted something that would perform better in Doom and Quake Champions. Was tired of getting fragged in quake because of <60 frame rates. Im hitting 100+ now and it looks great! But,............. and a very big BUT! Is this laptop going to crap out on me after my 14-day vendor return policy expires. I have to have a laptop for work and I want to game with my gf and daughter while i have free time. Being without a machine will really hurt me. Please feel free to ask questions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I've had the exact same problem with the same model every time I factory reset. I just did a factory reset and the first thing I did was install the latest AMD drivers. Same issue, slow startup times with black screen that lasts up to a few minutes. Haven't opened any games on it yet, as I am mailing this to a friend, but it seems like there is some issue with installing the newest graphic drivers before installing other drivers. I haven't figured out what the proper order is but it would be nice to have a single solution that could be repeated instead of walking on eggshells everytime it needs to be reset. 

Did you find a correct order that worked for installing new drivers or did you just find a solution that didn't crash and kept it like that like I did? I'm scared to install anything new now because of this issue, which took me about a week to figure out when I first ran into this problem.

HP Assistant also when prompted to search for new drivers says there are none available which I know is not true.

Update: Just downloaded the newest Microsoft update package and the slow shut down and boot up times seem to have been fixed. Hopefully that's permanent.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi! @Damnation, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand when you open device manager on your PC, you don't see Intel graphics listed.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any hardware or software changes on your PC?

As you mentioned when you open device manager on your PC, you don't see Intel graphics listed.

I have checked the specifications of your laptop and it was shipped with dedicated AMD Radeon RX580 graphics card, So you don't see an option of Intel graphics in the device manager.

However, you can try updating the BIOS and graphics driver on your PC and check if it helps.

Link to update the BIOS: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp84001-84500/sp84065.exe

Link to update the Intel graphics driver: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp85501-86000/sp85573.exe

Also, try the steps recommended below.

Right-click the Start menu (or use Win + X) and select Run. Type services.msc into the box and press Enter.

1. Find AMD Display Driver Service on the list.

2. Right-click to select Properties.

3. Click Start under the Service status.

4. Then select Automatic on the Startup type list.

5. Click the Log On tab.

6. Choose the Local System account.

7. Click the Recovery tab.

8. Select the Restart the Service on the First Failure list.

9. Do the same for the next two lists.

10. Click OK.

If the issue still persists uninstall the graphics driver from device manager and install the drivers directly from AMD website.

Download the AMD driver auto-detect utility using this link.

If the issue still persists try running a system diagnostics test on your PC and check if the hardware components on your PC are functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this works!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I fixed the problem by factory reset thru hp recovery. AMD does not recognize that this is a laptop rx580. your suggestion might very well be what caused my problem. i updated gpu drivers when i first got this laptop a week ago. also hp support assitant calls this laptop an0xx and not an012dx which is what is on the box. windows keeps wanting to update the wrong amd driver as well. This all contributed my problem. Two days ago i stayed up all night recovering to factory defaults. I went to the HP website and installed what the most important drivers/updates were ( new bios, thermal framework,  and the amd driver installer which tried to update to the 18.1 which might have been causing crashes. anyway i just reinstalled the driver i had local and left it as it was. temps are under 90c. games dont crash. laptop doesnt randomly reboot but....... and a very big butt!!!!!!!!!! THE DRIVER PAGE ON WEBSITE IS UNVAILABLE. BRAND NEW MACHINE AND DRIVERS ARE UNAVAILABLE. WHATS UP?!!!!! 

PS: i also created a custom power plan copied from hp recommended and decreased max cpu while plugged in to 90% max. she is running great but in order for me to commit to my purchase i need to know that the drivers page is not going to suddenly disappear. I feel like something shady is going on with these omen laptops. hp needs to be transparent. i know im paranoid but the drivers should be available. they are available for my old laptop that i sold to get this and give hp over a thousand dollars. whats up? just communicate with us and tell us what we need to know. the radeon settings software that comes on factory has no update option. the version is specific to hp and cant be found on amd website so are we not ever going to get driver updates. should i return this great machine and get something that wont be a waste of time. 

As i stated the laptop is running great right now. I dont know what caused it amd, windows updates. i am off work tommorrow and i am going to do some tests to see where this laptop and me stands. I have never had this much trouble with hp. Their laptops have always done my good and the drivers have never just dissappeared from website. so if im going to back this machine up and call it a good buy i need to know whats truly going on with it. we need all the information on our products. there is no reason i need a "tech" to take control to get drivers.

HP Recommended

@Damnation,

I read the post. Thanks for the reply. It is great to have you back. I am really happy that the issue has been taken care of. Good work.

As @A4Apollo is out for the day I am responding on his behalf. If you have any further issues with any HP product please reach out and we are always there to assist you.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The issue has not completely resolved as the drivers page for this laptop is unavailable. Hp support assitant is also calling the laptop an0xx and not an012dx. Are the drivers going to be available again? They were just there two days ago. The drivers for my old laptop is available. There are a few models that are not able to get the drivers page on the hp site

HP Recommended

@Damnation

Thank you for replying. 

MKazi is at your service. 

The reason the HP Support Assistant is detecting the model as an0xx because in this series has a few models. Your OMEN by HP - 17-an012dx falls in this series.

You may access the drivers for the laptop via this link: https://hp.care/2pDYRRI

If the above link is not accessible then try using a different web browser like Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, etc. and check if that helps. 

Keep me posted. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thank you everybody for your help. I was able to get the drivers and have them downloaded just incase I would need them later. I have decided to keep the machine as it is performing exactly as I need it to. Does anyone know if this machine is capable of switching between the AMD rx580 and IntelHD 630 graphics? I noticed by factory default the intelHD graphics are unavailable and I have heard of manufactures turning that feature off due to stability/compatibility issues? Did not want to install the intel driver and cause myself another headache.

HP Recommended

@Damnation, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

By default, a computer with Dynamic Mode switchable graphics uses the integrated, or power-saving, GPU for most applications. The computer will automatically switch to the discrete, or high-performance, GPU when an application requires more performance. Customers can configure which applications require the high-performance GPU by selecting the application in the Catalyst Control Center software. When an application is configured to use the high-performance GPU, the computer switches graphics solutions when the application is started or closed.

Refer this article to know more information about switchable graphics. Link: https://hp.care/2xbPjCw

Hope this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've had the exact same problem with the same model every time I factory reset. I just did a factory reset and the first thing I did was install the latest AMD drivers. Same issue, slow startup times with black screen that lasts up to a few minutes. Haven't opened any games on it yet, as I am mailing this to a friend, but it seems like there is some issue with installing the newest graphic drivers before installing other drivers. I haven't figured out what the proper order is but it would be nice to have a single solution that could be repeated instead of walking on eggshells everytime it needs to be reset. 

Did you find a correct order that worked for installing new drivers or did you just find a solution that didn't crash and kept it like that like I did? I'm scared to install anything new now because of this issue, which took me about a week to figure out when I first ran into this problem.

HP Assistant also when prompted to search for new drivers says there are none available which I know is not true.

Update: Just downloaded the newest Microsoft update package and the slow shut down and boot up times seem to have been fixed. Hopefully that's permanent.

HP Recommended

Sorry I have just now seen this thread. I can confirm the laptop is in fine working order as far as the graphics go. I have a 970evo installed as boot drive so I dont have issue with the slow boot. Im sure the update took care of that. I found issues installing the drivers from AMD website. They dont have a driver for a notebook version. This really screws with things. The crashing and black screen issues came from AMD drivers. I noticed microsoft gave me a driver udate that used the driver marked HP on the end but was using relive software instead of catalyst. I still cant see fan speed for the gpu but relive recording and capturing works great. I can stream straight to twitch if I link accounts. If anyone is unsure whether or not they are using the correct drivers they need to open their AMD radeon settings and check the software tab under system and check Driver Packaging Version for17.50.16-180118a-324038C-HP or another version marked HP on the end. This is the correct driver for things to work right. Installing the driver from HP is catalyst and does not have all the relive bells and whistles. Some how microsoft has the proper driver with the relive software. If your not sure you can install the amd driver from the HP drivers page here https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/omen-by-hp-17-an000-laptop-pc/15551440.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.