Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 17-CB1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I bough an OMEN 17 a year ago. The idea was being able to play the latest games on the go, so I ordered the top available hardware at the time (see below). I have not been able to play games at or over 60 fps with V-Sync due to crashes. As soon as I set those settings the GPU temperature goes over 70dg Celsius and the computer crashes. I can only guess that is a safety feature because 70dg Celsius seems too much for a laptop (I'm speculating here).

In any case, I wonder if there is a way to play games with 60fps and V-Sync with no crashes or overheating problems. I really like the laptop but is getting to a point where is frustrating. I normally have overkill system specs for the games I play. For example, GTA V, an old game, keeps crashing with V-Sync and 60fps. Same with Forza Horizon 4. I have tried a few latest games and same issue, as soon as the GPU gets to 67~70dg Celsius, computer crashes. At this point is not even the games. My only solution so far is putting the game settings to the minimum and limiting to 30 fps, that way GPU stays around 55dg C and computer does not crash.

I bough a laptop pad with cooling and flow towards the intake of the laptop fans. I am also using a table fan to blow the hot air exiting the laptop away from the intakes. This way I manage to play games on high settings and keep the temperature around 60dg C, but with no V-Sync and still limited to 30fps.

Please I appreciate any help in this matter, is very frustrating spending $2.900 on a laptop and not being able to use it for what is meant to.

LAPTOP SPECS

-Intel Core i9-10885H @ 2.40GHz, 8 Cores, 16 Logical Processors

-NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

-64 GB Ram

-1 TB SSD

-64bits System

-Recently Installed Windows 11

-Model = OMEN Laptop 17-CB1XXX

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi@Jochizattor, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Apologize for the issue with the display. We understand it's a gaming notebook lets try a few troubleshooting steps to fix the issue.

Check for the BIOS Update?

Tried Adding the game to High performances in the Nivida control panel?

Download GEFORCE EXPERIENCE updates the gaming drivers.

Turn on Game Mode. Game Mode is a new feature in Windows 10 Update that improves gaming performance by limiting background processes and programs from using system resources while a game is running.

Press the Windows key and G to open the Game bar.

In the game bar, click Settings.

Click the check box next to the game title to enable Game Mode for that game.

Plug notebook PCs into an AC adapter to give the graphics card more power.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.