Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15-EK0013DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all,

I just got an open box Omen laptop (from Best Buy), and I've noticed it randomly shuts off (or crashes) sometimes. It's done it when in low battery, and one time it did it when I closed the lid off the laptop, battery almost full, and when I came back a couple of hours later, the laptop was off.

I have the 15 Intel 2020 variant (model number 15-EK0013DX) of this laptop. Is this normal behavior for it? Should I change a setting? Should I return it? Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi@cortegaro,

I understand you have freezing or random shutdown issues with your PC.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any hardware or software changes on your PC?

Try updating the BIOS and chipset driver on your PC and check if it helps.

1.Updating the BIOS  & Windows updated

You can try updating the drivers using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps try the steps recommended below.

Use the steps in this section to help find the cause of the lockup:

Disconnect all devices to the PC with the exception of keyboard and mouse and/or monitor required for minimal use.

Remove any discs from the CD/DVD drives.

If Windows becomes active again, clean, repair, or replace the disc. Troubleshooting is complete.

If the lockup persists, continue troubleshooting using these steps.

While holding down the Alt key on the keyboard, press the F4 key to close the application.

If Windows becomes active again, the problem is related to an application. Save your work and restart the computer. Remember the name of the application that stopped responding or caused the error. Update or remove applications that continue to lock up. Troubleshooting is complete.

If the lockup persists, continue troubleshooting using these steps.

Press the Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys to open Task Manager.

Review the list of applications under Processes and look for applications that have stopped responding. Make a note of the names of those applications or programs.

Select an application that is not responding, and then click End Task.

A Microsoft Windows error message might appear: Windows Explorer has stopped working. Windows may check to see if there is a solution for the problem or prompt you to close the program. Or, if you see If you can’t see the taskbar and desktop icons, press Windows key and type Explorer….”

If you can’t see the taskbar and desktop icons, press the Windows key and type Explorer in the field, and click OK to restart File Explorer.

Continue clicking End Task for applications that are not responding until all unresponsive applications are removed from the list.

Keep me posted. Happy to help!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.