Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen X 2S

I recently purchased an Omen X 2S and I'm eagerly waiting for its arrival. Unfortunately I read something very alarming yesterday. In CNET's review of this model they claimed that you cannot use g sync on external monitors because there is no displayport output on the chassis. They also claimed that gsync would not work even through thunderbolt 3. Are these claims valid? If so, I'm very worried that I've dropped so much money on a partial desktop replacement that I won't be able to use to its full potential.

I spoke to support and they were claiming all sorts of random information, they were pretty much useless and just assured me that the configuration I made would have a displayport output, which as far as I know, is completely false.

I canceled an Alienware m15 r2 purchase for this and I hope I wasn't wrong to do so.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @WashingtonBrown 

Its hard to say what happened when CNET tested the laptop.

HPs manual claims the Thunderbolt USB3 port does support DisplayPort output and that the graphics cards support internal and external G-sync.

I don't have one to test with myself so all I can do is refer you to the manual.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06366618

HP Recommended

Thanks for info. I'll parse through the manual to see what I can find. I hope CNET was wrong because that would be a major disappointment.

HP Recommended

Sure thing. Look at pages 1 and 3 when you do.

HP Recommended

I looked at the manual and it does state that there is displayport hdcp 2.2. I'm unsure what they mean by that. None of the documentation specifically states whether that is over thunderbolt 3 or if it enables the use of gsync

Hopefully someone with this model can chime in.

Thanks again Photoray!

HP Recommended

No problem and Im with ya. HP documentation usually never gets that specific unfortunately.

HP Recommended

As of now, no one has given me any solid information that refutes CNET's claim about GSYNC, so I'm currently pretty pessimistic about GSYNC working through thunderbolt 3. 

Is there anyway to get in contact with HP staff or techs that are knowledgeable in their Omen line of hardware? The regular support staff are just reading off the spec list of the RTX GPU, which obviously isn't going to reflect the options on this model. Talk about incredibly frustrating. If this machine can't power g-sync externally, this would be a huge waste for me given HP's policies, more on that later. With all this, the support staff just seem to want me to get over it and accept their explanation. I tried contacting HP Omen via Twitter and still haven't gotten a reply. For a flagship model there seems to be a huge lack of quality support and possible misinformation. 

Rant about HP's policies:

The support staff stated that I can't cancel my order even thought it hasn't even been built yet, which is pretty silly given I did this exact thing so I could purchase this laptop. Being locked in to a purchase before pieces of your machine even touch seems a little unreasonable. I've put a lot of money down for this laptop and having to cover a 15% restocking fee because of misinformation seems entirely unfair.  It seems to me that HP's cancellation policy isn't really there to create a better experience for the customer.  I'm pretty sorely disappointed in HP's support experience thus far and I haven't even received my machine yet.

Please if anyone has any ideas or can help me get in touch with more knowledgeable HP/Omen staff, I would greatly appreciate it.

HP Recommended

@WashingtonBrown

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.