Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen Laptop 15-ce0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop keeps making really loud fan noises (on and off with variable pauses in-between). This occurs when I have both a lot of applications open as well as when there are no applications open.

At first I thought it could just be a heat issue, so I bought a laptop fan cooler (basically just a grill with some fans shoved into it) to place under the laptop to cool it down, so the laptop would be cooler and the fans wouldn't have to work so hard. But the fan noise issue still persists.

I've also tried just removing a load of background-applications in attempt to lower the CPU, RAM & disk usage and even switched from my favourite obese browser Chrome to firefox. Also freed up a load of space on my drives to see if that would help at all.

Oddly, the laptop is really quiet at times but then it goes into screeching autistic child mode and I don't like it. Is there anything I can do to fix it myself instead of paying an extortionate price to break the laptop open and feather the insides?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@JonathanH19
Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

Echo_Lake is at your service.

I understand you are in need of support,

And to help you out, I'm sending out a Private message to assist you with the next course of action.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I took off the cover and cleaned out the inside of the laptop (without unscrewing/ dismantling the inside). Cleaned out a lot of dust collected on the top and also carefully brushed out some dust from the fans (taking care not to turn the fans). Also used a cheap balloon pump to blow out some dust loosened by the brush.

Both fans are working a little better. I got a system fan error p60 at first but the error disappeared when restarting the machine. However, there is still a loud fan noise every 10 minutes interval (albeit I think a little quieter than before). The fans are both obviously working for when the machine is silent. I'm going to spraying some compressed air mix into the fans next incase there is a buildup of dust inside the fans.

HP Recommended

This is the RPM's of both fans. I'm not entirely sure which fan is acting up, presumably 'fan 2'. One seems to be running exceptionally faster than the other, which is apparently common but probably not to this extent?! As you can see, it's quiet for a long time then does a John Cena on me.

fanSpeeds.png

HP Recommended

@JonathanH19

Thank for the posting back. 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. 

Let's try updating the system bios and check:

1. Turn on the original computer with the issue, and then immediately press the Esc key repeatedly until the Startup Menu opens.

Startup menu

2. Press the F1 key to open System Information.

System Information lists the product number and BIOS version.

3. Write down the Product Number, BIOS Version number, and Processor Type.

Step 2: Set up the BIOS update on a USB flash drive

Use a second computer with Internet access to create a BIOS recovery USB flash drive.

1. Insert a blank USB flash drive into an available port on the second computer.

2. Go to HP Software & Driver Downloads and enter the product number of the original computer.

3. Look through the available software for BIOS, click it, and then confirm it is a higher version number and it is for your processor type.

• If the update is correct, click Download, and then click Run.

• If the update is not correct, view details of other BIOS updates in the list. If there are no other updates, the computer does not require a BIOS update.

• If BIOS is not in the list of available software, an update is currently unavailable.

4. In the InstallShield Wizard window, click Next.

InstallShield Wizard

5. Select I accept the terms in the license agreement, and then click Next.

6. In the License to Save Files window, click Change, select the USB flash drive, click OK, and then click Next. The HP System BIOS Update Utility opens.

7. Click Next, select Create Recovery USB flash drive, and then click Next.

Create Recovery USB flash drive in HP System BIOS Update Utility

8. Select your USB flash drive, and then click Next.

9. Wait while the BIOS files copy to the drive.

10. When 'The recovery flash drive was created successfully' displays, click Finish.

11. Click Cancel to close the update utility.

Step 3: Get the System Board ID

Get the System Board ID on the original computer to identify the correct BIOS file to install.

1. Turn on the original computer, and then immediately press the F10 key repeatedly until the BIOS settings menu opens.

NOTE: For some computers, press the F2 or F6 key to open the menu.
  2. Click the Main tab, and then write down the System Board ID.

System Board ID in BIOS

3. Press the F10 key to exit BIOS, and then shut down the computer.

Step 4: Update the BIOS

Use the Hardware Diagnostics UEFI on the original computer to update the BIOS.

1. Turn on the original computer, and then immediately press the Esc key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup Menu opens.

Startup menu

2. Press the F2 key to open the Hardware Diagnostics UEFI menu.

3. Make sure the power cord is connected to the notebook. Keep it connected during the BIOS update process.

4. Insert the USB flash drive that contains the BIOS update into an available USB port on the notebook.

5. Click Firmware Management or BIOS Management.

6. Click BIOS Update.

Click BIOS Update in the BIOS Management window

7. Click Select BIOS Image To Apply.

Select the BIOS Image to apply

8. Click HP_TOOLS, and then click HEWLETT_PACKARD.

9. Browse to the BIOS image. The file is in the BIOSUpdate, CURRENT, NEW, or PREVIOUS folder.

10. Select the BIOS update file that matches the System Board ID. The ID has a "0" before the board ID (Example: 02291.bin).

BIOS update file selection

11. Click Apply Update Now. Type the administrator password if prompted.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.