Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 15-dc1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

As the title suggests, this laptop becomes very hot very fast. Within 10 minutes of playing any AAA games, results in >90 degrees Celsius of both CPU and GPU. This is not my main problem, the problem arises when the temperature reaches a certain point,the clock speed of the GPU decreases. Using MSI afterburner, I noticed the clock speed basically locks below

500 MHz as the temperature reaches 90 degrees. And due to this decrease in clock speed the performance and therefore the FPS decreases drastically, making the games unplayable (FPS drops below 30).  

I have discussed this with the local HP support team and they stated that in gaming laptop such as OMEN, temperatures of above 90 degrees Celsius is very common.  I requested the HP team to re apply thermal paste (which they did without any trouble) but the problem still persists. Is this normal for OMEN laptops? Why would HP make such a powerful system when you can't properly utilize it? I bought a gaming laptop to enjoy playing games on the go, but my experience has not been fun. There's a lot of troubles I need to go through to just focus on the game instead of the performance issues.

Yes I have updated all required software (BIOS, Ge force experience, windows and much more). I actively us HP support assistant to check if there's any new updates.

Data: https://imgur.com/gallery/Er5RpXO  (My laptops temp while playing Resident evil 2)

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @adarsh2000

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.