Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Power cb028nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Pavilion Power cb028nl has only one fan out of the two working properly. While playing videogames the laptop is very hot, I thought it might be because the ram wasn't enough, so I installed an extra 8gb ram and nothing changed. 

When I opened the laptop to install the extra ram I saw only one of the two fans was dirty (my laptop is a year and a half old), I got suspicious and installed "speedfan" to check. One of the fans reaches up to 4800 rpm while gaming, the other is stuck at 99rpm. When the laptop is on and the only thing running is chrome the first fan runs at 3400 rpm, the second runs at 140. 

The bios is up to date (updated two days ago).

The vents have been cleaned.

I removed almost all startup apps (checked first which ones I could turn off safely).

There are no corrupt processes in windows task manager.

Power save settings are set.

Can anyone help me figure out if this is a software problem or a hardware problem?

Thank you in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@WaywardTeapot 

Fans are controlled by heat sensors. Fan speed high or low depending that area is hot or cooler. From my view, this is a good design actually.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@Banhien

Yes, it would be a great design, if it wasn't for its tendency to almost cause a meltdown.

After 1 hour of gaming there's no cooler area left, the laptop is burning hot and only one fan works. 

Yesterday my computer won't turn on, black screen, and there was a message about not being able to turn it on without causing damage because there was a problem in one of the fans (as soon as I turned it on I heard the fans running at maximum speed and then the laptop shut down automatically).

Could it be that one of the heat sensors died?

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.