Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Pavilion cx0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am using 1TB HDD sata and a 128GB LITEON CA3-8D128-hp, if i replace the M.2 with a new 1TB NVMe will i get the best performance of the NVMe new ssd ?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello @Ahmed4_k 

In the future, please post the Product Number so we know exactly what you have.

If you press the Control/Alt/S keys together, an info window will appear and give you this info.

Thanks.

Considering now days that the NVMe SSD's are within the same price range as the Sata SSD's, it would only make sense to install the NVMe drive.  I would not invest in a Samsung Pro due to the cost. But a Standard NVMe like an EVO 970 or other name brand will work fine.

And NOTE: You do not have to purchase the exact part number in the HP Maintenance Manual. Any good name brand will work.

Here is your manual... http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05985643

HP Recommended

Sorry for not including the product number. Here it is: 4PK78EA#ABV

thanks a lot for your answer, another question please, Do I need to remove the 7200 HDD to get the best performance from the M.2 NVMe (3x4) ? or I can use them together with best performance of them both ? 

HP Recommended

OK thanks. You will want to disconnect the HDD when you install Windows to the NVMe drive.

Then you can connect the HDD and I would wipe it and use it for storage. The two together will be fine otherwise.

HP Recommended

I appreciate your answer, but I didn't get the answer I need.
depending on your comment here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/Does-the-HP-Pavilion-Gaming-15-use-an-NVMe-slot/td-p/... . my laptop will lose half of the NVMe Gen3x4 speed due to some PCIe lanes being used for Sata. I'm asking if there is any posible solution to get the best speed the M.2 SSD does support, like by removing the Sata HDD and use only the M.2 NVMe. Or it is just not possible because of how the motherboard works ?

HP Recommended

OK got ya.

Because I don't have access to one of those systems, I cannot tell you honestly.

When NVMe first came out and makers were making the M.2 ports bi-compatible, the PCIe lanes were shared for Sata and thus the speed was cut in half. There was nothing you could do to trick the system otherwise.

But based on others answers on the subject, HP systems have been designed differently to bypass the old way that originally worked. I have had many users state their M.2 bi-compatible ports have not decreased NVMe performance at all with any of the HP Laptops.

Ergo, I'm confident you will be fine as I stated above.

HP Recommended

You didn't reply back so I will mention, the findings I speak of were since the first link you posted of me (obvious I hope).

Hope it helps.

HP Recommended

Never knew that. And I had the similar config with my HP Pavilion 15-Dk0051wm gaming laptop. I had Intel 665p 1TB NVMe SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1TB SSD. As well with 16GB kit of Corsair Vengance. 

HP Recommended

@Killertruth186 

How was your experience with the NVMe drive?

HP Recommended

It was fast. And it is great.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.