Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

so my laptop has 8GB of ddr4 3200mhz running at 2933mhz from SK Hynix and I have 2 8Gb ram sticks that are 2666mhz from Crucial are they compatible with my laptop because on Crucial's website they say that only 3200mhz ram is compatible and I am not sure if I should try them or not.

This is the ram I have

https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/ct8g4sfra266

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, the DDR4-3200 Hynix memory should work fine with the Crucial DDR4-3200 memory.

If you use the 2 x 8 GB of DDR4-2666 MHz memory you have now, it will work fine, but at 2666 MHz, not 2933 MHz.

So, the memory performance will not be at its max.

Probably not a big deal, but if you want every ounce of performance out of your notebook, then buy the 3200 MHz memory.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

You would want to use the DDR4-3200 memory because it will bridge to 2933 MHz.

DDR4-2666 MHz memory will run slower than your notebook can run the memory at.

It should work, but it will hurt performance a little.

HP Recommended

yeah i saw that the performance hit was about 3% and i can't find 8 gb 3200 from sk hynix i can buy right now where i live

also if i buy 8 gb 3200mhz from crucial will it work with the sk hynix one that i have ?

HP Recommended

Yes, the DDR4-3200 Crucial memory should work fine.

You want this one...

Crucial 8GB DDR4-3200 SODIMM | CT8G4SFRA32A | Crucial.com

If you are interested, your notebook can support 2 x 16 GB of memory, so if you want to add a 16 GB chip to the 8 GB chip, this would be the part # for that one...

Crucial 16GB DDR4-3200 SODIMM | CT16G4SFRA32A | Crucial.com

HP Recommended

so if I use the one my laptop already has the SK Hynix one with the Crucial 3200 MHz one they will work fine 

and one more question if I use the 2 2666 stick that I have they will run at 2666 not slower right?

HP Recommended

Yes, the DDR4-3200 Hynix memory should work fine with the Crucial DDR4-3200 memory.

If you use the 2 x 8 GB of DDR4-2666 MHz memory you have now, it will work fine, but at 2666 MHz, not 2933 MHz.

So, the memory performance will not be at its max.

Probably not a big deal, but if you want every ounce of performance out of your notebook, then buy the 3200 MHz memory.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.