Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15-ce096nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have this problem where if i play a game my fps suddenly drops to 15-30 and stays there for about 15 seconds. It seems to happens mostly when playing demanding games. I tried a stress test with my cpu with intel extreme tuning utility and found my cpu was getting temperatures above 90 and saw a lot of power throttling and a little thermal throttling. 

I also have this problem where my battery says its plugged in not specifying if its charging or not just (plugged in). it seems to be charging slowly but never reaches 100%. The power plan does not seem to fix it on other settings, while im using high power performance plan.

Things I tried:
1. Reinstalled windows 10 clean with usb
2. Updated my bios to the april 2019 release
3. I tested the ac adapter and the battery passed everything

Thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @fpsless 

This is happening while gaming plugged into the power cord, correct? And the charging indicator still shows plugged in but not charging, but it does charge somewhat if the laptop is powered off?

Can you try disconnecting the battery cable and trying playing the same game again and see how it reacts?

If you reinstalled Windows and its still doing it, indicates a hardware issue like the battery going bad or a weak charger, even thought the tests show its not.

Here is the manual showing how to access the battery. The model numbers are for the ac100 series, but the chassis is still the exact same.  http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06002077

HP Recommended

it just says "xx% available (plugged in)" not "xx% available (plugged in not charging)" or "xx% available (plugged in charging)"
 I could not find anything about it on google, which is strange. 

The laptop charges even when im on it, but it never exceeds 90%. I also tried playing the game without the battery cable and it did not seem to drop suddenly like it did on the battery cable. 

HP Recommended

OK Thanks.

I'm just going to clarify so I am not misunderstanding you...

I assume you know not to game on battery only. Because that will definitely cause your FPS to randomly drop.

So if it games just fine with the battery disconnected and only running on the charger/adapter, then your battery is bad.

This happens to a lot of users, even if the tests show the battery passes. And I say this considering the fact you also reinstalled Windows and the same issue occurs. You would need to replace the battery when you can.

HP Recommended

would that hurt my warranty if i remove the battery? I misunderstood you, i have not removed the battery from the laptop i just did not connect the ac adapter to the laptop and i did not have the fps drops when not on the ac adapter. But the fps is very bad ofcourse when not powered by the adapter. 

Does the battery also explain the thermal throttling and power limit throttling?

I find it hard to explain but do you understand what i mean with when i hover over the battery icon in the corner of my screen it says "76% available(plugged in)" yet it does charge but it does not say its charging when hovering the icon. 

The fps i get when i play without the ac adapter is stable around 30 fps and does never drops. But with the ac adapter plugged in the fps can randomly drop to 15-20 fps and stay at those numbers for 5-30 seconds. Untitled1.png

HP Recommended

Yes I think you did misunderstand me.

So it does not drop on battery only, but does drop when plugged in.

When the drops occur, you mentioned the laptop is overheating then? I assume you are looking at the Command Center to view the temperatures.

Perhaps try this and see if it helps....

You are going to change the power plans advanced settings to disable Turbo Boost.

Go to this link where I have the instructions posted there. Let me know what happens.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/Re-OMEN-by-HP-Laptop-15-dc0025ca-Overheating-while-ga...

Also I doubt you are still under warranty unless you purchased an extended plan?

HP Recommended

i disabled my turbo boost and that seemed to fix it.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Very good then. Would you do me a favor and mark that post as Solved please?

I would appreciate it. Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.