Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP - 15-dc0805no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. I have an Omen laptop from 2018 with an irritating problem:

My laptop is connected  to an external monitor (AOC G2590FX) with displayport to benefit from it's G-sync compatibility. I use the external monitor as the main display, and extend to my laptop display. Sometimes (and this seems to occur at random) my laptop display suddenly goes to black, while my external monitor still shows the same screen. A couple of seconds later, my external monitor freezes, still showing the same screen. Audio will still play for a short time. If i disconnect the external monitor and reconnect it, the screen comes back up, still frozen. The laptop display is still black. At the same time as the problem starts, the laptop fans begin spinning faster.

The only solution is to do a hard reset of the computer. And then sometimes the problem reoccurs just seconds after windows login, sometimes after half a minute, and sometimes doesn't happen before a week later.

I have never had the problem before I bought the monitor, and have sometimes used another monitor for shorter periods connected with HDMI, without problems. The problem has also never occured during high load in a demanding game, but usually just while performing simple tasks.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue? Or does anyone have a solution?

Grateful for any response

Best regards from Norway

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@OmenLaptopUser,

I reviewed your post and I understand that the laptop screen goes black randomly.

I recommend you update the BIOS and the graphics driver from the below link and check whether the issue is resolved.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi.

I updated the BIOS. I could however not find a suitable graphics driver for my OS (win 10 v 1909). I already have the HP support assistant telling me I have the latest drivers installed.

The problem still occurs at random, after updating the BIOS. I still think it has something to do with my laptop/graphics card/displayport/monitor combination

Johannes

HP Recommended

@OmenLaptopUser,

I recommend you perform a reset on the computer following the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/nz-en/document/c04742289

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.