Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've got the exact same issue on a HP Omen 15-dc1303ng, with a RTX 2070 Max-Q. It happens extremely inconsistently also, I got this black screen while running low GPU intensive games however it worked fine other more demanding ones. For example The Witcher 3 on ultra settings never had this issue, and it runs perfectly, but on a indie game, Risk of Rain 2, it happens a lot.

The timing is also random, I had the game running perfectly for 40 minutes, the temps were 70-74 C for the GPU and 75-80 C for the CPU, and I got the black screen and after about 5 seconds heard the windows notification sound for the display disconnecting. Another time it happened in the main menu of the game, as soon as the game started.

For me this started happening 2 weeks ago. However the first time it happened the GPU disappeared from my device manager. The Nvidia driver also reported that no compatible hardware device was present. What I did to fix this was update the PCI Express driver in Device Manager > System Devices, and the GPU reconnected immediately after. After this the issue kept appearing. 

What solved my issue for a few days was this:

go into Power & Sleep setting >Additional power settings > Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings.

Here expand PCI Express then Link State Power Management and change "Plugged in" option from "Maximum power savings" to "Off".

As I've said, this solved my problem for a few days but then it just started happening again.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.