Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem with my 17" OMEN.

Fan1 is constantly running around 2800 RPM while Fan2 sits at 171 RPM.

Even though the option for always on fans is disabled in BIOS, it has no effect.

Just bought it today and it's quite upsetting.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Look at the bottom right at the battery Icon, left-click on it and slide it to the middle. By default, it will be set to right by the factory but that will force CPU to run at the maximum clock all the time hence the heat and fan noise

It took me a while to figure this out too, It's a shame HP doesn't know what they are doing

HP Recommended

It's already set at the middle, at "Better performance", which is between "Better battery" and "Best performance".

OMEN Command Center is showing 50C for the GPU and 47C for the CPU, completely idle, and the fan is revving at 2800 RPM, which is pretty loud.

Also, from time to time, apparently with no connection to the temperature readings, the RPM drops to a level where it's barely noticeable (it's be lovely if it remained like that for light usage). But that only lasts for less than a minute.

The cooling is too aggressive and kicking in too early.

I mean... it is completely understandable that the cooling would be at 100% capacity while gaming, but at idle and light usage, the fans shouldn't even kick in.

Pretty disappointed right now... it's the only think I hate about this laptop...

Hoping for a BIOS update to fix this... but I ain't holding my breath....

HP Recommended

Well I don't know how to fix it then, But for me I already perfoem a clean install of windows 10 and that Fix the issue. My CPU idle temp is 60c with no fan sound at all. And performance control in Omen control center set to Performance

HP Recommended

Thanks for trying, though...

I also have a 15" OMEN and don't have these sort of problems...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.