Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN By HP - 17-an130ca
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

So first issue, what happens is that if my screen turns off (after a while of being untouched) and when I come back the display is a glitchy pixelated mess! If I run my mouse over it disappears in that area but the taskbars aren't as easily fixed. I assumed this was a display issue with the monitor but since I can take a screenshot using Nvidia capture software it isn't that. All drivers were uninstalled and reinstalled but no help. I attached a video of what I mean as well as a few screenshots.

Desktop Screenshot 2020.04.11 - 15.32.26.09.pngDesktop Screenshot 2020.04.11 - 16.48.21.24.pngDesktop Screenshot 2020.04.07 - 00.29.32.02.png

My second issue is the laptop drastically slows down when playing games. It lags and even freezes the screen. This only happened recently, around the time the screen began having the issues above. Even typing in google or in a google docs it will freeze and catch up. I will post my specs, the slowdowns should not happen. I've had it for a year and a half with no issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

NOTE: When trying to reset windows it kept running into an error that I could not fix. This laptop also has begun to overheat going as high as 98 degrees Celcius on the CPU. Almost all programs were removed but no luck.

SPECS:

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, 8,019 MB

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz

RAM: 2x 8GB Samsung 2667MHz

RESOULUTION: 1920 x 1080

REFREASH RATE: 120hz

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @JeffMacNab24 

That CPU is running WAY too hot. You are having rendering issues when coming out of monitor sleep which is possible the high temps might have something to do with it.

Strange it only just started. Have you tried to clean the vents of dust?

When you say you run into errors when attempting a Windows reset, give more details.

How are you trying to reset and what is the error?

HP Recommended

Hello, thanks for the response!

I haven't tried cleaning the vents as I don't know how to go about cleaning them without damaging it. But I will definitely try that as that makes a lot of sense!

The error is very bland, it just says "There was a problem resetting your pc" and it made no changes. I go about doing that in the recovery settings in windows and just choose to delete everything so I can start with a fresh windows install. 

HP Recommended

If its really plugged which would explain the really high temps, you might have to open the case and do an extensive cleaning, rather than just blow canned air into the vents... Example

Just to clarify, are you still under warranty? If yes, you should consider contacting Support directly...

Contact HP Worldwide | HP® Official Site

I would go ahead and reset the bios to default before going further.

OK on the error. You might want to bite the bullet and do a full clean install of Windows in such case.

Before you do this, I would recommend running the HP UEFI Diagnostics and see if any hardware issues appear.

You can to a full extensive test for everything. Tap the F2 key at Power-On to access the menu.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467259

If no hardware issues occur and you want to completely redo Windows, you can use the MS Media Creation Tool to clean install Windows via an 8GB USB pen drive. This will wipe the drive and reinstall from scratch. You would have to reinstall any programs you have, and make sure any important data is backed up on an external drive.  Create media Windows 10

A re-paste might help, but strange if this only occurred recently. Usually a re-paste would be needed right away out of the box, if heating were bad from the start.

HP Recommended

@Photoray002

Hi, update! The cleaning appears to have worked but will see after a few days if it's still all good! Thank you for the response tho temperature has been low and games are running very well again!

HP Recommended

That's good to hear.  Ill keep my fingers crossed for you.  🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.