Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Pavilion gaming cx0056wm

Hi there everyone.

I just bought this laptop, the model without SSD from factory, and I'm wondering if could be possible to install an upgrade consisted in a M2 SSD drive and SSD 2,5 inches SATA at the same time. One on the M2 port and the other on the SATA HDD port of course.
I found these combined configuration on the service manual but doesn't answer my question:
Dual storage configurations:

16 GB PCIe M2 Optane solid state drive + 1 TB (7200 rpm) hard drive
256 GB PCIe, NVMe, TLC, M2 solid state drive + 1 TB (7200 rpm) hard drive
128 GB SATA3, TLC, M.2 solid state drive + 1 TB (5400 rpm) hard drive
128 GB PCIe, NVMe, TLC, M2, solid state drive + 2 TB (5400 rpm)
128 GB PCIe, NVMe, TLC, M2, solid state drive + 1 TB (7200 rpm)

In summary, I want to install an M2 SSD and remove the original HDD (1tb 7200 rpm) and install instead and SATA SSD drive at the same time (M2 and SATA SSD)

TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

" I read in a forum that M2 port has capacity limitations according to the laptop model"

Ive never heard of such a thing. HP's have no capacity limit. The other forum you read might have been referring to the fact that there are different size lengths of the m.2 board. But typically now days they all use 2280mm drives. Your HP will use the standard 2280mm length drive.

I would add as large a "capacity" drive as I could afford. 128 is way to small if you are a gamer.

Although, if you only keep your OS on the 128GB drive and install all your games and keep data on the second drive, you could get away with using one. But really, with the prices now better than ever, I wouldn't skimp. I would go for at least a 500GB to 1TB m.2 drive if I could.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @eliukmm 

That manual states that you can both m.2 and a sata drive together. Your systems m.2 port will take either sata or NVMe. You can also use a 2.5 inch standard sata ssd where the HDD is.

Install the m.2 drive first and disconnect the HDD. Install windows to the m.2 drive. Verify the installation works. Then install the 2.5 inch sata ssd. 

Save the original HDD in case you have a warranty issue. You will have to put the system back to original before sending it in for repairs. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer, it was so helpful.

Do you know the maximum capacities on each port? TIA

HP Recommended

There isn't a capacity cap with drives. You're probably thinking of RAM memory which does.

HP Recommended

This is my first time working with SSD drives so I thought there was a capacity limitations. I read in a forum that M2 port has capacity limitations according to the laptop model. What M2 capacity do you recommend? 128gb sounds to be insufficient but I'm not sure. TIA.

HP Recommended

" I read in a forum that M2 port has capacity limitations according to the laptop model"

Ive never heard of such a thing. HP's have no capacity limit. The other forum you read might have been referring to the fact that there are different size lengths of the m.2 board. But typically now days they all use 2280mm drives. Your HP will use the standard 2280mm length drive.

I would add as large a "capacity" drive as I could afford. 128 is way to small if you are a gamer.

Although, if you only keep your OS on the 128GB drive and install all your games and keep data on the second drive, you could get away with using one. But really, with the prices now better than ever, I wouldn't skimp. I would go for at least a 500GB to 1TB m.2 drive if I could.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.