9 6 0 1
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Second SSD on HP Omen

OMEN by HP - 17t-an100 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I just wanted to know if I can install an second ssd slot on the motherboard, My latop already came in with a 16 gb intel optane memory and 1 tb HDD. As the optane memory is only used as cache and I guess it is integrated with the HDD as I do not see another drive in 'My Computer'

I purchaced a 970 samsung evo M.2 ssd and looking forward to install it, I would also like to know how to clone intel optane memory to samsung evo as OS is installed in the Optane memory[When I remove optane it says no boot device found] So I am not sure how it should be done.

Another thing is I found that that there is lot of empty space[Attached picture]to the left side of the battery, can I use it to install something?Photo on 14-08-18 at 11.29 AM #2.jpg 

5 REPLIES 5
Level 8
Level 8
579 567 28 237
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Second SSD on HP Omen

I'm not 100% familiar with that particular model, but ff there is a second M.2 slot, then yes! You can easily install it and it will work. (Check under the HDD... I've seen some setups where an M.@ can be installed under it.

If you are looking to replace the Optain, then that new M.@ will work in it's place.

As for cloneing the Optain, I think i will let someone else speak up here as I haven't done any cloning of anything in many years. (Is Ghost still used? Can it even see M.2s?)

You can always move things to the HDD as a back up, install the Samsung drive, and do a clean install.

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
0 Kudos
KrazyKid
Level 1
9 6 0 1
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Second SSD on HP Omen

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Cloned the optane, It was easy peasy with samsung mirgrate.

And I would like to know about what I can do with the empty space to the left of the battery? Can I install something there?

0 Kudos
Level 8
Level 8
579 567 28 237
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Second SSD on HP Omen

I'm really not sure as I don't have access to a unit to inspect.

If there are open ports in that area, then maybe.

It looks like it's big enough for an ODD, but I dunno if that unit can take one or not.
Are there any ports that look like this could plug into?

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
11,083 10,894 1,122 3,234
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Second SSD on HP Omen

This has been asked before with those models. That Lapop only has one M.2 slot to add an SSD to.

Sorry but cloning the optane memory to SSD is a waste of time.

You are better off to clean install Windows 10 to the new SSD although you didnt mention how big it is. It will run much faster than booting from HDD with Optane cache and not waste the potential of installing a Samsung 970 to begin with.

Then clean the HDD and use it for storage.

Just my opinion.

Austing2018
4 2 0 1
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Second SSD on HP Omen

Hi KrazyKid,

I have this same exact model Omen, and I just successfully installed Windows 10 to a Samsung EVO 960 M.2 SSD last night. It was very easy with one caveat...

The HP Recovery Media I made with one of my USB Thumb drives gave me an error when using it to recover Windows 10 to the new EVO 960. I re-installed the 1TB HDD and 16GB Intel Optane drive and rebooted, then used the Windows 10 Media Recovery, and used that and within an hour I was up and running with the new 960 EVO SSD as the primary Boot drive.

After about 10 minutes of wondering why the 1TB HDD I re-inserted was not showing up, I had an optane error come up as a pop up, and I clicked it and followed the instructions to re-optimize the HDD and then it become available as a backup drive for storage, or to use as a backup OS if I so choose.

Hope that saves you a headache. Use Windows 10 Media Recovery instead of HP for an easier time, nothing against HP Media Recovery, as your mileage may vary.

-Austin

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation