Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to set my laptop to limit its battery charge.  There's a solution listed under Gaming Laptops (Configuring battery charging limit to desired value (70-80%) on HP laptop), unfortunately, both before and after updating my BIOS, the System Configuration/Battery Care Function option of limiting charge is absent.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Catskinner_Keen

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the Adaptive Battery Optimizer settings.

Adaptive Battery Optimizer technology is currently enabled on the following HP computers:

• HP Pavilion Gaming 15-dk0000 Laptop PC
  • HP Pavilion Gaming 17-cd0000 Laptop PC
  • OMEN by HP 15-dh0000 Laptop PC
  • OMEN by HP 17-cb0000 Laptop PC
  • OMEN X by HP 15-dg0000 Laptop PC

HP recommends leaving Adaptive Battery Optimizer enabled to ensure that you get the maximum possible lifespan out of your battery, but it can be disabled at any time. Disabling turns off any protective measures that were implemented and immediately restores any run time that was lost. Disabling Adaptive Battery Optimizer does not affect the battery warranty in any way.

Enable or disable Adaptive Battery Optimizer:

1. Start or restart the computer.
  2. Press F10 to enter HP Computer Setup (F10 setup).
  3. Select Configuration.
  4. Change the status to Enabled or Disabled as desired.
  5. Save the change and Exit.

Determine if protective measures have been activated:

1. Start or restart the computer.
  2. Immediately press Esc to access the startup menu.
  3. Press F2 to start HP PC Diagnostics UEFI.
  4. Select Power > Battery.
  5. Select Run Once.
  6. Once the test completes, select Battery Details.
  7. Check the Adaptive Battery Optimizer status. Three possible statuses are:

• Enabled/Not Activated: the feature is ON, but no protective measures are active.

• Enabled/Activated: the feature is ON, and protective measures are active due to battery temperature, battery charging status, or usage patterns.

• Disabled/Not Activated: the feature is OFF, and no protective measures are active.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your time. My issue is not resolved. I'm aware of the Adaptive Battery Optimizer; I looked it up on my first foray into the BIOS. Unfortunately, the Adaptive Battery Optimizer does not appear to be a charge limiter. I want to specifically limit my maximum charge to 80% or less (70% would be ideal) to allow my laptop to be plugged in continuously without wearing the battery. The Adaptive Battery Optimizer probably helps with that, but cannot be as effective as a hard charging limit - and frankly I cannot find a detailed step-by-step description of what the Adaptive Battery Optimizer actually does.

HP Recommended

@Catskinner_Keen

Appreciate you trying the steps. I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding this issue. 

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.