cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RedCorps107
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Significant GPU underperformance, freezing. Suggestions?

HP Recommended
Pavilion Gaming - 15-dk0055nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So ever since I got this particular laptop I've been experiencing a lot of freezing when I'm sure that I should not have. Have not had a single problem with the CPU, it's doing well with games that utilize that heavily such as Stellaris, and RAM shortage hasn't been an issue. I'm certain the issue is with the GPU and while I don't have an issue running a game on the lowest settings even then there's frequent freezing with many titles. I've even actually run some of these games without this freezing on less capable computers that have a strictly inferior GPU, games like XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Battletech, and Far Cry 2 and 3. I know it's only 3 VRAM and I'm not expecting the world out of it but it has problems with many titles that it really shouldn't even at the lowest possible settings with the lowest refresh rate the monitor will allow. Far Cry 2 is a game from 2008 and even while running at the lowest settings it will still freeze up the entire system. All drivers are updated, I've performed multiple factory resets, I've tried running from an external SSD to see if the internal drive that had anything to do with the issue (it didn't), I added a second stick of RAM (identical to the base one to ensure compatibility) and a whole bunch of other things and I still face the same issue.

I have a friend who has been helping me troubleshoot who is starting to think that the GPU or some other element of the motherboard is outright defective. I'm hoping that isn't the case but I've run out of ideas as to what could be causing the issue and I was hoping to see if anybody here had any ideas of their own.

1 REPLY 1
The_Fossette
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
29,155 29,140 1,953 2,593
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@RedCorps107

I reviewed your post and I understand that the computer is freezing when you play games.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you update the BIOS and the graphics driver from the below link and check whether the issue is resolved.

BIOS: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp106001-106500/sp106203.exe

Intel: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp105501-106000/sp105556.exe

Nvidia: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp105501-106000/sp105558.exe

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation