Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I got a new headset that works using the Audio/video ports of the laptop. My old headset used a USB. Now there is around a 5-second delay between me turning on anything that has sound and me hearing the sound. This issue wasn't present in the older headset. I have tried multiple ones before I made the post, so if anyone would suggest I do that I already did.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Thejabr,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details and I would appreciate if you could, perhaps elaborate on your concern.

• What is the exact model for your computer?
  • Is the headphone connected to the headphone jack on the computer?
  • Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

Look forward to hearing from you and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

• Its Omen by HP
  • Yes the headphones is connected via a jack.
  • No changes in software or hardware
  • yes, but doesnt show there is a problem.
HP Recommended

@Thejabr,

What is the product number for your computer?

Follow the steps in the below artilce to find the product details.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Meanwhile, I follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Run the audio troubleshooter

The audio troubleshooter might be able to fix audio problems automatically.

To run the troubleshooter

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type audio troubleshooter, select Fix and find problems with playing sound from the results, then select Next.
  2. Select the device you want to troubleshoot and then continue through the troubleshooter. 

choose your device in the audio troubleshooter

You can also launch the troubleshooter from audio Settings. Select Start  > Settings > System  > Sound  > Troubleshoot.

If running the troubleshooter doesn't help, continue to the next tip.

Verify that all Windows Updates are installed

To check for updates

1. Select Start  > Settings  > Update & Security  > Windows Update   > Check for updates.
  2. Do one of the following:
    • If the status says "You're up to date, go to the next tip. 
    • If the status says "Updates are available," select Install now
  3.  Select the updates you want to install, then select Install.
  4.  Restart your PC and see if your sound is working properly.

If that didn't solve your problem, continue to the next tip.

Fix your audio drivers

Hardware problems can be caused by outdated or malfunctioning drivers. Make sure your audio driver is up to date and update it if needed. If that doesn't work, try uninstalling the audio driver (it will reinstall automatically). If that doesn't work, try using the generic audio driver that comes with Windows. If you're having audio issues after installing updates, try rolling back your audio driver.

To update your audio driver automatically

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type device manager, then select it from the results.
  2. Select the arrow next to Sound, video and game controllers to expand it.
  3. Right-click the listing for your sound card or audio device, such as headphones or speakers, select Update driver, then select Search automatically for updated driver software. Follow the instructions to complete the update.

Right-click the device listing and select Update driver

search automatically for updated driver software to update audio driver

If Windows doesn't find a new driver, look for one on the device manufacturer's website and follow those instructions. If that doesn't work, try uninstalling your audio driver.

To uninstall your audio driver

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type device manager, then select it from the results.
  3. Right-click the listing for your sound card or audio device, select Uninstall device, select the Delete the driver software for this device check box, and then select Uninstall.

Delete the driver software for this device and uninstall

4. Restart your PC.
    • Note: Be sure to save documents and any other current work before you restart.
    • This restart will automatically prompt your PC to reinstall your audio driver.
    • To restart, select Start  > Power  > Restart .

If those options didn’t work, try using the generic audio driver that comes with Windows.

To use the generic audio driver that comes with Windows

3. Right-click the listing for your sound card or audio device, then select Update driver Browse my computer for driver software Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
  4. Select the audio device whose driver you want to update, select Next, and then follow the instructions to install it.

Select the driver and select next to use the generic audio driver

If these steps didn't solve your audio issue, visit your device manufacturer’s website and install the most recent audio/sound drivers for your device. Following is an example of a driver download page for a sound device manufacturer.

If you have audio issues after installing updates

If your audio was working before you ran Windows Update and now isn’t working, try rolling back your audio driver.

To roll back your audio driver

3. Right-click the listing for your sound card or audio device, then select Properties.
  4. Select the Driver tab, then select Roll Back Driver.

Roll back the audio driver in Device Manager

5. Read and follow the instructions and then select Yes if you want to roll back your audio driver.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

My product number is: 2XP12AV.

I appreciate your taking the time to write all of this. However, the steps are not what shows when I attempt the procedure. For instance, when I run the audio troubleshooter it doesn't ask me which devices do I want to troubleshoot it just runs sound tests and assumes everything is fine and that's that for the day. I have been searching on the internet for a while and I have found some links that refer to this problem in multiple Hp models. It seems that the sound card "idels" after some time of not playing audio. One would think you would be aware of this, but meh. 

HP Recommended

@Thejabr

This  might require remote access of the computer to fix the issue, I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.