Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Omen laptop 15-dc1xxxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2208 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s).

Bought this new gaming HP laptop specifically for Oculus Quest Link to SteamVR last week and completed set up, including updates.  First attempt to run SteamVR Performance Test failed (reported CPU and GPU not fast enough). 

Tried again in a couple of hours (no changes in the interim) and  Performance Test passed.  Played for a few hours, and after initial stuttering due to low frame rate eventually settled to work pretty darn well.  

Next day couldn't start up SteamVR so I ran the Performance Test again and it failed, and it continues to fail.  Instead of Performance Test taking 'several minutes', cycle to failure takes about 45 minutes.

FYI, Omen Command Center reports 0 % utilization and 0 degrees temperature when Performance Test is running.  

Resource Monitor shows 12 CPU's all running at 100%.  BUT Omen Command Center shows CPU percent utilization in the low 60%, temperature hovering around 90 degrees celsius.

Machine runs hot, being a gaming machine, so I am very mindful of ventilation.

Bottom line - total waste of money unless this issue is resolved.  I am quite long in the tooth, experience with computers dates back to the late 70's,  (My age is in the low 70's - lol).  

I suspect there is and issue with the GPU driver -  but there appears to be no way to update this - can't use the NVIDA driver library even when picking the right make and model, and HP support center says everything is up to date. No way to force an update.  The screenshot below is the result of the SteamVR Performance Test.  Note the GPU reference - Microsoft Basic Display Driver.  That can't be right!  I wonder if the wrong GPU driver is overburdening the CPU. Note that I did not change the graphics driver, have no idea how that could have happened.

bbetts_3-1591998126729.png

bbetts_0-1591999279191.png

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.