Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN Laptop - 15-ek0005na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, my HP Omen has warranty and extended care pack.

I created a support case on Oct 3rd. 2022.

As is the next step (in HP Support Assistant), I contacted HP / tech support.

Through a remote connection, we performed all the tests [no issues], BIOS updates, HP updates, Windows updates...

Everything updated, even optional updates -- no improvement on the initial problem though.

Then, the case got stuck.

It's been more than a week now.

I took care to not type the exact case number here, but can anyone help please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @TuncD 

In case of overheating problems, it is never enough to clean the fan or perform some software updates.

The thermal paste of CPU, GPU and bridges must always be renewed.

Sorry, but in your case: Service is required !
- The computer should be disassembled and checked.
Thermal paste for CPU GPU and bridges must be renewed
The function of the fan(s) must be checked

Short circuit test 

charger/battery test

- Components test

- General cleaning ...

Contact HP Support

Kind regards

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @TuncD 

Sorry to hear that you are having problems ... I would like to help you.

Could you please explain exactly what the problem is?

Kind regards

HP Recommended

Hi @Ub6424

Thanks for replying.

High temperatures (75°C / 167°F) even on idle CPU.

The right-side fan making loud noises, as if something is stuck there, though no idea how that could happen.

The laptop is on a riser-type stand as well, not blocking the vents like a table could. Used via an external monitor all the time.

Setting the fan controls in Omen Gaming Hub to Max (temporarily) and then back to Auto used to sort this, but not anymore.

I dusted using a Giottos rocket blower; dust came out, but it hasn't improved things. (All these were even before contacting HP).

The thermal tests performed remotely by HP via LogMeIn found no issues as well (nor did the other tests, and all tests were performed).

I even recorded the noise after the HP contact. This is not just "loud fan noise", mind you. (That's like white noise to me by now.) It's more like it's groaning... like an engine starting...

Incidentally, that noise does go away in like 30mins or something, with temperatures averaging 64°C / 147°F).

Finally, I'm an InfoSec guy, know my way around software & hardware; it's not a malicious software issue or anything like that.

Apologies for the lengthy post, I aimed to be as thorough as possible so that it can help me and/or others experiencing the same perhaps.

Kind Regards,

TuncD

HP Recommended

Hello @TuncD 

In case of overheating problems, it is never enough to clean the fan or perform some software updates.

The thermal paste of CPU, GPU and bridges must always be renewed.

Sorry, but in your case: Service is required !
- The computer should be disassembled and checked.
Thermal paste for CPU GPU and bridges must be renewed
The function of the fan(s) must be checked

Short circuit test 

charger/battery test

- Components test

- General cleaning ...

Contact HP Support

Kind regards

HP Recommended

Hi again @Ub6424

Thank you, and I agree.

I have extended warranty, which does include delivery & pickup by HP.

However, the case got "stuck", and no one at HP reached the same conclusion as yourself (yet).

That's why I was trying to get the attention of someone at HP...

Kind Regards,

TuncD

Edit: If the "Contact HP Support" in your post is a link, it does not appear click'able for me. I'll try HP Support Assistant again.

HP Recommended

Update: A Service procedure has started.

They will pick my laptop up soon.

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

@TuncD wrote:

Update: A Service procedure has started.

They will pick my laptop up soon.

Thanks again!

You're welcome !

Good luck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.