Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen by HP 17-w101no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi! 

A while back i noticed that the right side of my laptop started rising which affected both the functionality of the keyboard and the mousepad. The laptop would not close properly and even started to overheat easily.

Today i disassembled the laptop and noticed that the issue was that the battery had swollen to almost twice the size. I removed the battery because i was scared that this could become a safety issue, having read about batteries exploding or catching fire in other devices.

Is there a way for the battery to be replaced when my warranty is expired?

IMG_3884.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@AndreasRunn 

Product introduced September 2016

HP is not likely to replace your battery for free unless the battery is in a Recall List.

You can certainly check:

Product Recalls – Please READ

Open:  HP Replacement programs and product recalls

August 2019 Expansion of the 2018 HP Notebook Computer and Mobile Workstation Battery Safety Recall ...

======================================================

Battery already removed...

You are actually more than half-way to having solved the problem on your own.

Maintenance & Service Guide: Models with GeForce GTX 1060/1070 graphics cards

Parts and Replacement - Page 35

Description                                               Spare part number

Battery 6 cell, 95 WH, 4.15 Ah, LI                   853294-855

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Reference

HP Collection of “how-to” videos

HP Video Gallery

• Use Categories and / or enter your request in the search bar to narrow the search. 

Examples,

Select Category Computing and Mobile Devices > Battery and Power

Select Category Computing and Mobile Devices > Parts Replacement and Upgrades

Search for replace battery or replace battery x360

Select and watch your Video

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Find / Check for parts at PartSurfer / HP Parts Store

PartSurfer might be able to tell you exactly which parts came with your computer.

Open PartSurfer

• Select your Country
  • Enter the device Product Number , Serial Number, or Part Number in the Quick Search box
  • HINT: To see a system-specific list, replace the Product Number with your device Serial Number
  • Items accompanied by a tiny box in the Add-to-Cart column are available for purchase

Parts marked as "n/a" are not available from HP.

Parts marked as available for purchase might be available from:  HP Parts Store

OR

If HP does not provide the part for retail purchase,

Use your search engine to find a compatible replacement at your favorite online store.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your HP device

OR

OMEN by HP - 17-w101no 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@AndreasRunn 

Product introduced September 2016

HP is not likely to replace your battery for free unless the battery is in a Recall List.

You can certainly check:

Product Recalls – Please READ

Open:  HP Replacement programs and product recalls

August 2019 Expansion of the 2018 HP Notebook Computer and Mobile Workstation Battery Safety Recall ...

======================================================

Battery already removed...

You are actually more than half-way to having solved the problem on your own.

Maintenance & Service Guide: Models with GeForce GTX 1060/1070 graphics cards

Parts and Replacement - Page 35

Description                                               Spare part number

Battery 6 cell, 95 WH, 4.15 Ah, LI                   853294-855

Good Reference

HP Collection of “how-to” videos

HP Video Gallery

• Use Categories and / or enter your request in the search bar to narrow the search. 

Examples,

Select Category Computing and Mobile Devices > Battery and Power

Select Category Computing and Mobile Devices > Parts Replacement and Upgrades

Search for replace battery or replace battery x360

Select and watch your Video

Find / Check for parts at PartSurfer / HP Parts Store

PartSurfer might be able to tell you exactly which parts came with your computer.

Open PartSurfer

• Select your Country
  • Enter the device Product Number , Serial Number, or Part Number in the Quick Search box
  • HINT: To see a system-specific list, replace the Product Number with your device Serial Number
  • Items accompanied by a tiny box in the Add-to-Cart column are available for purchase

Parts marked as "n/a" are not available from HP.

Parts marked as available for purchase might be available from:  HP Parts Store

OR

If HP does not provide the part for retail purchase,

Use your search engine to find a compatible replacement at your favorite online store.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your HP device

OR

OMEN by HP - 17-w101no 

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for a thorough answer!

I have to say i am a bit disappointed that HP is not offering/selling replacements. My only option seems to be buying a generic battery from some shady online battery store that delivers to Sweden. I think i will cut my losses and start looking at options for a new laptop, since this one is now a stationary.

HP Recommended

@AndreasRunn 

You are welcome.

For all that there might be someone on whom you could place your trust, I do agree that four years is a good time to consider an upgrade.  

Systems have come a long ways in four years.  You might be pleased at the choices.

Two of the many items to check to be sure you get exactly what you want: 

1. Backlit keyboard timeout=never (and other advanced options) are available in Business class machines.  Business class machines do cost more up front - they also come with longer standard warranty and enjoy other benefits.
  2. The keyboards, at least on some of the high-end systems, might have changed - take the time to read the User Guide (first several pages) to see if the keyboard on a potential new system is acceptable to your habits.

Stay Safe.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.