Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
06-28-2021 12:13 PM
If the Advanced section is not supported in your BIOS, you cannot make it appear.
BIOS – Advanced Tab Section
I am the bearer of bad news...
Only business class systems and perhaps a few other high-end PCs include access to the Bios Advanced section.
The limitation is meant to protect against changes that can damage the computer and to protect the manufacturer (HP in this case) against false claims ("It failed for no reason").
Example - BIOS – Backlit Keyboard and other Advanced Options
This is one of those situations where the how-to document mentions that a particular feature might not be supported on every computer. The document does not offer an exact explanation because the document is not written for YOUR computer.
Section: The backlight stays on for only a few seconds
Excerpted from the document:
Note: If there is not a setting for the backlight timing in the BIOS, this behavior might not be supported on the notebook. Check your notebook model's product support documentation to confirm support.
The Advanced section is where the ability to adjust the timeout is controlled.
In general, consumer grade systems do not include the Advanced section.
Lacking the control option to adjust the timeout, you cannot set the back light to remain all the time.
In general, and there might be exceptions,
- Business class computers offer the BIOS Advanced section.
- Examples of business class systems include and are not limited to: Zbook Mobile Workstations, ProBook, EliteBook, EliteDesk, and others.
- The backlit keyboard timeout option is included in the Advanced section .
- At this writing, consumer class systems may not include the Advanced BIOS section.
- Examples of consumer grade systems include and are not limited to: Spectre, Pavilion, Envy, Notebook.
BIOS configurations vary depending on the computer. For further information on a specific computer, refer to the documentation provided with the computer or go to the appropriate document for your PC.
Consumer Class Desktops and Notebooks – BIOS Setup
- HP Desktop PCs - BIOS Setup Utility Information and Menu Options
- HP Notebook PCs - BIOS Setup Information and Menu Options
Commercial / Business Class Computers – BIOS Setup
Thank you for participating in the HP Community.
The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.
Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.
Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"
Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask the community