Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Hp Omen 17 An106ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So i have an Hp Omen 17 from 2018 its the Omen 17 1n106ng with an core i7 8750h and an gtx 1070. And i have an big issue with cpu thermal throttling even after undervolting and repasting and i need some help. While gaming i constantly reach 97 degrees on the cpu, but the Gpu is fine. I also lose clock on the cpu. But what i found out is that only one fan (the left one) is spinning properly while gaming at 4200 rpm and the other one (the right one) is under 200 rpm while gaming (i used Speedfan to meassure the rpm). And i think if the other one would also run properly i wouldnt have those thermal throttling issues with my cpu. So now iam asking why this one isnt spinning properly and when does Hp fix this with an Bios update so it can spinn as fast as the other one. Please Hp or someone else can you help me. 

Sorry for the bad grammatics iam from germany so my english isnt perfekt.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Here is an example with afterburner how hot the cpu is and how strong it is loosing clock evcen after repaste and undervoltiing. Before that it was even worse. So please aktivate the second fan.2021-04-15.png

HP Recommended

@Defender004 

Your machine has 2 fans which are controlled by heat sensors. One fan for EACH area. One area is always hotter than other area therefore the sensor(s) for that area forces its fan run faster (ie more RPM). From my view, that is a god design.

You can use cooling pad to help to reduce heat on your machine

https://www.techradar.com/au/news/best-laptop-cooling-pad

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Yeah but the Laptop has shared Heatpipes so they should spin both faster. Thats the reason i want them to both spin at 4200 rpm. tHen this isnt a good design its a design flaw so please hp help me with that and fix it. Really guys i need help

HP Recommended

Or does anybody know a way in the registry to make the rpm of the second fan higher please guys  or please hp its a software thing just update it or something please

HP Recommended

Thermal throttling is a big issue with this laptop. It either Heats up, or slows down. No updates to fix this issue since 2018!!!!! 

HP Recommended

Yeah i know and what i found out that if you start the pc and boot or make an bios update the second fan spins way faster then when in windows under load, or at least i think so. So i think its not a hardware failure and more a software failure which hp could probably fix. i hope they can iam going to call them on Monday and ask for a solution, iam going to tell you guys if they have one or what they say in general. If you guys have the same Problem also call them and write emails etc. just to make them aware of this issue so that they migth start to make a fix for it, if someone finds something out please tell here

HP Recommended

I called Hp a few Minutes ago they said that my Modell shouldnt have this issue, that it was an older one which should have it, they said i should reinstall windows and if taht doesnt work i should send it to repai because the sensors have a Problem. I hope that fixes the Issue

HP Recommended

Ok just a small information. Tomorrow iam going to send my laptop to Hp they told me that its not normal that my second fan isnt spinning over 200rpm, they told me that that isnt an issue with my unit (an106ng) and that the Sensor is destroyed (sorry for my bad english xd), and they want to repair it now. So if this repair works iam going to inform you guys here because i found out that iam not the only one who had this issue.

HP Recommended

Here is the PictureHere is the PictureSo i got the Laptop back today. It got hit while shipping so Hp needs to repair it again and up till now the second fan still doesnt spinn up but at leat the heat Problem got solved the cpu now stays at 45 watts all the time and 3.9 ghz. ANd its allways about 80 to90 degrees. So yeah the heat Problem got solved without the second fan spinning up totally, but i will test if he will spinn up in other games. So yeah the heat problem got solved. Way better Thermals now. But i still want to know what need to happen for the second fan to spin up? Does anyone knows thats?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.