Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Trying to cool my Omen 17

HP Recommended
HP Omen 17-cb1097nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased an HP Omen 17-cb1097nr. It has slanted rear vents where the screen is attached in the middle so the screen opens past the vents. There is a vent on the side,  but minimal air come from that vent.

I tried an OPolar laptop Cooler but it wouldn't fit on the back vents due to screen and putting it in the side vent did nothing for the CPU or GPU temps. I'm not sure if a cooling pad will help but I'm open to a good one.

I'm trying to find the best cooling options for the 17 in Omen. There seems to be a lot of options for the Omen 15, but not the 17. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
11,863 11,665 1,224 3,575
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Lochi 

If you're looking for a cooling pad recommendation, I wont have one. I usually go by the reviews of them and make a determination based on that. I have tried the Opolar also and never had any luck. Tried it on a couple different laptops and the results were no change at all.

The GPU fan does not usually spin near as fast as the CPU fan, thus why not as much air exhausts on one side.

Did you go to the Omen Command Center and try the three different the options for the preset performance modes?

I don't know on the new models if your RTX 2060 will have all three options or not.Performance Mode gives the system full power. Comfort should undervolt the CPU so it doesn't Turbo, which keeps the temps lower.

Let me know what happens.

Also does it have the button below the performance options for Fan always on? If so, put it to always on when gaming.

If yes to any of this, what is the result?

Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply @Photoray002

I know the omen is supposed to have a unique cooling design, so I wasnt sure if a standard cooling pad would suffice. I've seen some of the reviews for the vacuum coolers but all of them are for omen 15. Except one that I found where he actually posted pics with 2 OPolars on the back vents, so I bought one. But it didnt fit, so I don't know what his pics were of and I can't find the post again...sad.

The temp hasn't gotten outrageous or anything but I know preventative is always better than corrective so I'm trying to find something to let me game longer.The GPU gets about 160-180F and the CPU about 200F at the worst, but doesnt stay at that temp long and always seems to come back down a little. But yes I always game with the fans on max. I always game on performance and havent tried gaming on comfort. I was always afraid it would lower my experience but I'll give it a whirl and let you know how it turns out. The temp hasn't gotten outrageous or anything but I know preventative is always better than corrective so I'm trying to find something to let me game longer

Thanks for the feedback. I'll post again after gaming on the other two modes.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation