Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi community

I was given the USB-C/A HP "universal" dock G2 by my company to use with my work HP Zbook, and it works brilliantly for my working needs, which is that I plug in a single usb-c cable into my ZBook and I get:

- power

- output to an external screen

- ethernet

- USB ports

I decided to treat myself to a new gaming laptop and bought an ASUS TUF F15 laptop. I accepted that I'd need to plug in power separately, but I couldn't get the external screen to work at all through the dock (updated all drivers etc etc) so I returned it.

I emailed HP Support asking if the "universal" dock works with the HP Omen gaming laptop range, and the reply was hilariously unhelpful - "The docks that we provide are only tested to be compatible with our business range of products such as the ZBooks, EliteBooks etc."

I'm considering throwing £1k+ at HP and they won't even try plugging a HP Omen into their "universal" dock! 

So, I come cap in hand to the forums - does anyone have an Omen and the dock, and does it work with an external monitor?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@kirbatious wrote:

... Obviously, I think I'll just have to order one and see if it works. I can always return it, and then I can answer my own forum question!

@kirbatious 

I do not have an HP USB-C/A universal dock G2, but I have a sister of it which is an HP USB-C Gen 5 dock and definitely the USB-C Gen 5 dock is NOT compatible with my HP Omen 15" machine with 200W charger

The dock can only charge my Omen when it sleeps, idle or overnight. I can connect monitors, LAN, external keyboard and mouse, ....

The USB-C Gen 5 dock works perfectly with my HP Elitebook 840 G5, HP Envy 15-ee0047nr, Dell Inspiron 13 7000 but not my HP Omen.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@kirbatious 

No, the dock does not support the Omen. Please use page 38 of the following document to check a full list

https://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04168358

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi Banhien, thanks for replying, but your answer is basically the same as from customer support - I should have said in the description that I know there's a list of "definitely compatible HP business laptops", but that wasn't my question.

It's advertised as a ~universal~ dock, and the ethernet and USB port functionality worked fine with a random ASUS laptop, so to repeat myself, my question was "Has anyone actually tried using one of these docks with a HP Omen and an external monitor, and did it work?"

Obviously, I think I'll just have to order one and see if it works. I can always return it, and then I can answer my own forum question!

HP Recommended

@kirbatious wrote:

... Obviously, I think I'll just have to order one and see if it works. I can always return it, and then I can answer my own forum question!

@kirbatious 

I do not have an HP USB-C/A universal dock G2, but I have a sister of it which is an HP USB-C Gen 5 dock and definitely the USB-C Gen 5 dock is NOT compatible with my HP Omen 15" machine with 200W charger

The dock can only charge my Omen when it sleeps, idle or overnight. I can connect monitors, LAN, external keyboard and mouse, ....

The USB-C Gen 5 dock works perfectly with my HP Elitebook 840 G5, HP Envy 15-ee0047nr, Dell Inspiron 13 7000 but not my HP Omen.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Hey again Banhien

Thanks for the additional reply, which did indeed answer my question ("does the dock support a second monitor for Omen laptops?"), buried though it was in too much waffle, sorry for that.

As mentioned, I ordered an Omen and it does indeed work fine with the dock, I am very happy with my purchase! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.