Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN Laptop - 15-Ek0005na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The same thing that happened in this thread has just happened to me.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/Omen-15-quot-dies-quot-after-the-Nov-2020-Bios-Update...

My one day old laptop. After updating BIOS to Nov2020 version the first time I attempted to use a USB-C monitor I heard a pop and the laptop died and I could smell burning. It no longer switches on and I have arranged an exchange with the retailer I purchased from.

please escalate this issue to the BIOS team.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Connolly20vt

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

To resolve this issue, perform the following steps:

1. Turn on the external monitor.

2. Open the On-Screen Display (OSD) Menu.

3. Uncheck No Input Signal Warning.

Unchecking the No Input Signal Warning option

4. Confirm that the external display is now functional.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

That absolutely does not explain how a USB-C monitor would cause component level failure on a HP Omen laptop.

HP Recommended

@Connolly20vt

Thank you for posting back. 

This could be a software driver conflict,

Is everything working fine, or would you require any further assistance? 

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I don’t think you are understanding me.  

The laptop is toast. It won’t power on. Completely dead. 

All because I used a USB-C Monitor.

HP Recommended

@Connolly20vt

Thank you for posting back. 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. This sounds like hardware related issue with the computer and in order to fix this issue,  your computer needs to be serviced.  As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now. 

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options in order to diagnose the computer physically.  HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/​​​​​​​

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.