Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 17-cb0011nq
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!

I have an Omen 17-cb0011nq and I want to change my ram with 2x16 gb sticks or maybe 1x32 gb stick, I just can't find information about my slots: how much they can handle, size wise and frequency.

My laptop currently has 2x 8gb 2666 Mhz. Now my question is can I get higher frequency too? I was thinking  a 3200Mhz or 2933 with pretty ok cycles. And can I enable the higher frequencies in bios with XMP, do I even have that?

I suppose (and hope) the brand doesn't matter, I mean I know some people have a preference for different brands, but I saw some really good Kingstons and HyperX memories, does my motherboard care about that? On the same topic is size a problem with laptop rams? Should I look out for that too? If so, what size fits with my rig?

Sorry I'm new at changing laptop parts, I did some mild tinkering with towers.

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@jaguarul97 

Its specs

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c06527918

Crucial says it has compatible 32GB each for your machine

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/hp-omen-17-cb0011nq

You should be able to install higher RAM speed but it downgrades to 2666MHz

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

This doesn't help. Thank you but no thank you, this is the most generic answer possible, oh here have quick search of laptop name on two sites...

I already knew my specs.

It's really weird that they give no information on the motherboard... I'm having a hard time understanding HOW much can I upgrade.  BIOS knows nothing (don't get me started on the terrible layout and restrictions, I'm not a two year old, if I access the BIOS I want to get MORE out of my computer, no fan control... and they are pwm clearly, no overclocking possible on almost anything). Hp site gives zero info on up to how much I can go, I just have to do trial and error (understandable, if I want better I can just get a better model, why upgrade when you can buy something new).

I found the Crucial site before, I just wasn't sure if I should trust a search engine with some tags.

Regarding the "speed" that you so kindly answered if you glanced on Crucial for two seconds, it actually says that they offer a 3200 Mhz option so apparently it should work?! No idea if it get's capped, bios doesn't seem to nice with people that wanna play with ram clocks.

Nobody know with these HPs... as much as I like how "chonkie" the laptop is so it doesn't overheat like Asus, ugh I hate the lack of control over your own computer! My only control over it is UNDERVOLTING in the Omen Center!  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.