Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 15-5001la
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello friends, I have a Omen 15-5001la and I want to change your hard drive by

SSD 960 EVO NVMe M.2 1TB

that SSD is too fast, read Up to 3,200 MB/sec, and write Up to 1,900 MB/sec

but I'm not sure if it is able to support that SSD, could someone help me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello again Krado,

Yes you can add an NMVe SSD as well as an M.2 Sata (as per your other thread).

Yes NVMe is faster that M.2 Sata, but considering the cost per gig and your older hardware, I would personally stay with M.2 Sata.

Speed differences between M.2 Sata and an old HDD are huge and you see it when you compare booting Windows from each. But both SSD types boot fast and the difference physically seen is much less than the first comparison.

Its your choice, but I would use the savings for other things, like an external HDD storage drive to back up your system to.

Samsung 960 EVO 1TB PCIe       currently $450.

Crucial MX300 1TB SATA M.2      currently $289.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello again Krado,

Yes you can add an NMVe SSD as well as an M.2 Sata (as per your other thread).

Yes NVMe is faster that M.2 Sata, but considering the cost per gig and your older hardware, I would personally stay with M.2 Sata.

Speed differences between M.2 Sata and an old HDD are huge and you see it when you compare booting Windows from each. But both SSD types boot fast and the difference physically seen is much less than the first comparison.

Its your choice, but I would use the savings for other things, like an external HDD storage drive to back up your system to.

Samsung 960 EVO 1TB PCIe       currently $450.

Crucial MX300 1TB SATA M.2      currently $289.

HP Recommended

is very true, but I want to install samsung evo 960, but some friends say that my pc may not be compatible, so I'm looking to know if my pc would have problems in supporting it.

HP Recommended

ya - go for it. Like I said, it will support both.

HP Recommended

@Krado

I found some more info...

The Samsung 960 Evo will be compatible, but there were some issues with a firmware/controller update for it.

There is a chance you might get one that is not updated. You would need to connect it to another PC first if so, to update it.

There were a couple of Omen 5000 users reporting problems.

So while yes  "technically" it will work, the one you get might or might not have issues.

Thought you should know before you order one.

Stores are rather picky about refunding SSD's.

HP Recommended

Ok Thank you very much 😃

HP Recommended

Hello @Krado

I have the same issue and the EVO970 that I purchased is not recognized!

It would be great if you could let me know which SSD you were successfully able to install. 

My device is 15-5001na, so very similar and should take the same SSD. 

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.