Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN Notebook - 15t-5000 CTO - J2W12AV#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to replace the battery on my 6 year old omen for the second time and seeing as I'm going to be ripping the rubber feet off again... (pain in the rear that they are) I figure I may as well make it worth it and get the full lifespan I can out of this old girl. I found a replacement battery easy enough on ebay, but no replacement rubber feet though... thank you HP... if anyone wants to tell me what kind of strong, skinny double- sided tape they use I'd appreciate it lol. Anyways, though I've taken my computer apart-ish to replace thermal paste I don't know much about hardware/software compatibility....

Can I replace the stock Samsung "mzhpu512hcgl-000h1" 512 m.2  2280 SSD with a newer (much faster) pcie 3.0 or 4.0 SSD? They have the same m.2 2280 form factor, but I don't know if the software/motherboard will allow it. I know from previous exploits this version of the Omen basically blocks you out of the bios, so my hands are slightly tied.

Ultimately, I'd like to get a slight performance boost if possible and make this laptop last a bit longer. I can still play games on it without much issue as I have it on a lap pad with fans, so heat/noise isn't a huge issue.

Update: After hours of searching I cannot tell what version of storage interface slot I have!! Can someone please tell me if it's a PCIe 2.0 or 3.0 or somehow SATA III? I don't think it's a sata because I have the 512 gb version and the manual says PCIe +my current chip looks like it's PCIe when I google it, but honestly who even knows because CPU-Z doesn't (it's blank) and Samsung Magician thinks it's SATA III?!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@CC_23 

>>>>>> Can someone please tell me if it's a PCIe 2.0 or 3.0 or somehow SATA III?

The Maintenance and Service Guide says it supports both M.2 NVMe (PCIe) and SATA 3. Device Manager should tell you what is its drive now. You are saying it has mzhpu512hcgl-000h1 which indicates it is an M.2 NVMe SSD drive (PCIe 2x4)

https://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-xp941-mzhpu512hcgl-solid-state-drive-512-gb-pci-express-2-0-x4...

You can use Samsung or other PCIe 3x4 but probably you won't get better speed.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you for responding! That answers my first question. Though I'm surprised it can support both sata 3 and nvme. 

Do you know what the actual port for this motherboard is though? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.