Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Hp omen 17-an053nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Has anyone upgrade there Hp omen to 4tb sata lll as secondary?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Crazyjoe909 

As long as the new HDD does not exceed 9.5mm in thickness, you should have no problems. But as far as I know, the 4TB mechanical drives are probably going to be 15mm and wont fit the brackets.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @Crazyjoe909 

As long as the new HDD does not exceed 9.5mm in thickness, you should have no problems. But as far as I know, the 4TB mechanical drives are probably going to be 15mm and wont fit the brackets.

HP Recommended

The SSD I plan to get is 6.858mm. Hoping it works, so I can have more games to store. Thank you

HP Recommended

Ah, Ok.

So by your other post, you plan on installing a 4TB Sata SSD to replace the 2TB HDD that already came with the unit. Is this correct?

Then you want to add another Sata SSD via a DVD to Sata adapter for a 2nd or 3nd drive?

According to your specs, your motherboard should come with an M.2 NVMe slot. Did you also fill that already?

IF not, you would be money ahead to install one and use it for your Operating System. But you need to open the case and make sure the M.2 slot is soldered to the board first.

Here is your manual... http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06001792

HP Recommended

So this is my plan. My OS is running off M.2 Nvme which is about 60% full, I may or may not upgrade that at the time. My 2tb SSHD is at about 90%, which i noticed once it got above 75% full it stated to take a little long to load. At first I was just going to upgrade my 2tb SSHD with a 4tb SSD, till I noticed about that ZIF port being open. If the 4tb SSD fits in that caddy and has not problems with running on that ZIF port I'll leave it at that. But if it does not fit, I'll have to move my 2tb SSHD to the ZIF port and place my 4tb SSD where my 2tb SSHD was. I hope I explained this right. Thank you so much for your time and help.

HP Recommended

move the SSHD to the caddy and put the 4TB SSD in the Sata port.

Or you could always just invest in and external drive and not worry about it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.