Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 17-cb0006na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello Everyone,

I have an issue with my laptop after upgrading the default 16GB RAM to 32GB.

The modules I upgraded to are 2 x HyperX Impact DDR4 16GB, 2666MHz CL15 SODIMM XMP

When I use both modules together, the PC is highly unstable. I get random crashes and the memory test (from the BIOS) fails within 5 seconds. When I use just one module, everything works well (1 x 16GB). When I use the 16GB module with 1x 8GB again, everything works well. The problem reoccurs when I use both 16GB modules.

I had the modules tested in another laptop for 3 days and they worked well with no issue. Also, Memtest was used on the other laptop for around 12 hours on a loop and no errors occurred.

What I have noticed from my testing and monitoring for changes is that the newly bought RAM support XMP and RUN at a CL of 15 whereas the original modules run at a CL 15.

This is the profile of the XMP for the 16GB Modules (Module Name Kingston HyperX KHX2666C15S4/16G): @ 1333 MHz 15-17-17-35 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 60-467-347-214-7-7-7-30 (RC-RFC1-RFC2-RFC4-RRDL-RRDS-CCDL-FAW)

This is the profile for the 8GB (Default) Modules: @ 1333 MHz 19-19-19-43 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 61-467-347-214-7-4-7-28 (RC-RFC1-RFC2-RFC4-RRDL-RRDS-CCDL-FAW)

Both default modules and upgrade modules run at the same speed of 2666Mhz with the difference in the timings.

Note: when the 16GB module is used with an 8GB module, the default timings are applied to both chips.

Note 2: When I say default I am referring to the modules that came installed with the purchased laptop (Module Name SK hynix HMA81GS6JJR8N-VK)

I am using the latest bios Version 25.A.

Is there someone else with the same issues or something that I can try?

I've spoken to support through chat but since this is not a warranty thing nothing can be done, so a gaming laptop is useless when paired with "gaming" RAM modules.

Please refer to the attached screenshots for all the specs.

CPU 2.jpgCPU.jpgRAM 2.jpgRAM.jpg

Thank you for your help,

Sloy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So this is something that can be fixed by a bios update whereby allowing to disable XMP and use safe timings if HP care to look into the issue that is.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Sloy 

The simple answer is 2 x HyperX Impact DDR4 16GB, 2666MHz CL15 SODIMM XMP is NOT compatible. My machine uses Samsung RAM

SamsungR.png

Please check yours and buy same existing specs RAM, why fancy ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

So this is something that can be fixed by a bios update whereby allowing to disable XMP and use safe timings if HP care to look into the issue that is.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.