Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 15t-ax200 CTO Laptop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! I have the OMEN by HP 15t-ax200 CTO Laptop PC and wanted to upgrade the SSD on my laptop from 120GB to 1TB, as well as replacing my battery because the charge only lats about 10 minutes and I keep getting warnings about my battery not functioning properly when I restart my computer. However, I feel a bit paranoid about purchasing parts that don't fit the laptop so I was hoping for a second opinion from people who are more knowledgeable than myself. 

I was thinking about getting the Laptop Battery Replacement for HP Omen 15t-ax200, 849570-541, 849910-850, HSTNN-UB7A, TE03XL, TPN-Q173 (https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/laptop-battery-replacement-for-hp-omen-15t-ax200-849570-541-849...) and the Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD - CT1000P1SSD8 SSD (https://www.amazon.ca/Crucial-500GB-NAND-NVMe-PCIe/dp/B07J2Q4SWZ/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Crucia...).

I had an additional question in terms of upgrading the SSD - my laptop also has a 1TB HD in addition to the 128GB SSD, so would I be placing the new SSD in the HD slot or where the old SSD is? And if I'm directly replacing it with the old SSD, how would that work with Windows 10 since it's currently installed on my SSD - would I have to repurchase Windows?

Thank you so much for any responses! 🙂

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Sunstreak 

Your machine is a CTO machine therefore its specs is NOT available.

1. Battery: You know your machine therefor you have to select the right one otherwise it won't work. Please use page 23 of the following manual

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05357609.pdf

2. SSD: Your machine has 128GB of M.2 SSD and 1TB of 2.5" HDD. If you wish to upgrade 128GB to 300GB, you have to use M.2 slot, not 2.5" bay. You REPLACE M.2 SSD, not 1TB HDD therefore you have to use old slot (they are physically won't fit anyway).

3. Windows: No, you can install Windows 10 again and again because Windows 10 is embedded in BIOS of your machine. You have to buy Windows 10 when having new System Board (ie motherboard).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your reply!! About the battery - I looked at the user manual you linked but I'm not sure how to tell if I have the 3 cell prismatic battery or the 4 cell polymer battery. I used my serial number and product number to search the HP Part Surfer website, and the following information was displayed in the battery section - but again both are listed, so I'm not sure how to tell which one is actually used in my machine?

Sunstreak_0-1591309673097.png

HP Recommended

@Sunstreak 

The image is too small, I can't see. Manual says 3 cells or 3 cells depending on the AMD video option. Please use this to work out. 

Worse case, because it is a CTO machine therefore you have to use HPSA to check Battery, it will show how many cells your current battery has. For example

840 batchk 200605.png

(My machine has 3-cell battery,  but it shows 2, 3 and 4 )

From HPSA, select troubleshooting, click Battery - this will take up to 5 minutes to have the result as shown above.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

The HP Support Battery Check showed values for all 4 cells so I figure I have the 4 cell battery then - thank you so much for your help!

HP Recommended

@Sunstreak wrote:

The HP Support Battery Check showed values for all 4 cells so I figure I have the 4 cell battery then - thank you so much for your help!

@Sunstreak 

Now you know which part is for your machine.

Have a good weekend.

Regards.

BH

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.