Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 17-an179wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I am wanting to upgrade my hard drive and the SSD in it to a bigger storage type I am also wondering if the ssd is a m.2 and I am also wondering if my HP recovery drive will install to the SSD instead to the hard drive when I reinstall the OS when I put the drives in. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Tristin1 

Yes your model has both capabilities for an HDD and an M.2 drive.

The M.2 drive is compatible with both SATA and NVMe, but with today's prices, you should just go with NVMe. There is no capacity limit on drives. Get the largest you can afford.

Your HP USB recovery media should work to install to an M.2 drive. But you could just install with the most current Windows ISO from Microsoft. Create media Windows 10. The system will activate the key when it connects to the internet to update Windows.

If you install an M.2 drive, keep the HDD drive disconnected during the process to make things much easier.

Your drivers page if you want it. Note: Most drivers now will get installed during Windows updates.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/omen-by-hp-17-an100-laptop-pc/20329829/model/244622...

Let me know if you have other questions.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @Tristin1 

Yes your model has both capabilities for an HDD and an M.2 drive.

The M.2 drive is compatible with both SATA and NVMe, but with today's prices, you should just go with NVMe. There is no capacity limit on drives. Get the largest you can afford.

Your HP USB recovery media should work to install to an M.2 drive. But you could just install with the most current Windows ISO from Microsoft. Create media Windows 10. The system will activate the key when it connects to the internet to update Windows.

If you install an M.2 drive, keep the HDD drive disconnected during the process to make things much easier.

Your drivers page if you want it. Note: Most drivers now will get installed during Windows updates.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/omen-by-hp-17-an100-laptop-pc/20329829/model/244622...

Let me know if you have other questions.

HP Recommended

Thanks I was very confused on m.2 and a NVMe drive. I am also getting the 5 TB hard drive for games and stuff from Seagate so I’ll have upgrades storage. 

HP Recommended

Check the thickness of that new drive first. Most laptops can only hold a drive up to 9.5mm thick and that Seagate might be 14mm or more.

HP Recommended

The laptop should be big enough if it doesn’t fit I’ll have to return it 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.