Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
hp omen 15 dc0085 tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

im experiencing long sleep/shutdown times when doing either. if i press the power button to make the laptop go to sleep, the display turns off and the led on the power button is supposed to blink when its supposed to sleep but it stays on and if i plug/unplug usb devices i can hear the sounds of connection. i can hear the hdd spinning and only after about 3-4 minutes does it go to sleep. same case if i close the lid to make it goto sleep .the same issue with shutdown. if i press shutdown from the start menu i experience the same thing as with the sleep issue. doesnt happen with restart though. ive tried various settings from the power & sleep settings and the advanced power options, keeping the times lower on battery and on plugged in but still the problem persists.

im running windows 10 64bit which is upto date. running the latest bios for my laptop i.e. f.08. 

i dont want to reset windows and start from scratch as i have a lot of applications installed which would take a lot of time to install. 

kind of want to fix this urgently as i have projects to complete on this machine and dont want to go through a lot of hassle but might if absolutely needed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@rohan98 As the issue is related to slow performance, as it takes time before the action is triggered, did you ensure temp files and the cache is deleted or refreshed? If not, please perform the below steps and then, retry the sleep option to check if that works fine:

Press the home button+r, or type "run" in search and open it. Then type "prefetch" and press enter; a dialogue box will pop up. Simply press "continue" and delete all the files from the folder.

Press the home button+r, or type "run" in search and open it. Then type "temp" and press enter; a dialogue box will pop up. Simply press "continue" and delete all the files from the folder.

Press the home button+r, or type "run" in search and open it. Then type "%temp%" and press enter; a dialogue box will pop up. Simply press "continue" and delete all the files from the folder.

(None of these files are used by your PC, it's just excessive data sitting in your PC taking up both space and slowing down the device)

Restart the computer and check if that makes a difference.

I hope that helps.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@rohan98 Welcome to HP Forums!

I have a few steps to help you out:

You can save power by specifying what the computer does when you close the lid or when you press the power button.

• Depending on the setting you specify, pressing the power button causes the computer to do one of the following: Do nothing, Sleep, Hibernate, or Shut down.
  • Depending on the setting you specify, closing the lid causes the computer to do one of the following: Do nothing, Sleep, Hibernate, or Shut down.

Use the following steps to change the power button and lid settings:

1. At the Start screen, type power options to open the Search charm. Select Power Options in the Search results.
  2. In the left pane, click Choose what the power buttons do or Choose what closing the lid does.
  3. To change settings for the power button, click the arrow next to When I press the power button, select the setting you wish to use, and then click Save changes.
  4. To change the lid closure setting, click When I close the lid, select the setting you wish to use, and then click Save changes.

To learn more about the power options: Click here

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead. 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

ive tried this. it takes around 4-5 minutes till the power button led completely goes off before shutdown or blinks before sleep, meaning it doesnt actually do any of those for some time even after the action is targetted and the display is turned off.

basically my issue is that power/sleep takes time to trigger after initiation and after display goes off

HP Recommended

@rohan98 As the issue is related to slow performance, as it takes time before the action is triggered, did you ensure temp files and the cache is deleted or refreshed? If not, please perform the below steps and then, retry the sleep option to check if that works fine:

Press the home button+r, or type "run" in search and open it. Then type "prefetch" and press enter; a dialogue box will pop up. Simply press "continue" and delete all the files from the folder.

Press the home button+r, or type "run" in search and open it. Then type "temp" and press enter; a dialogue box will pop up. Simply press "continue" and delete all the files from the folder.

Press the home button+r, or type "run" in search and open it. Then type "%temp%" and press enter; a dialogue box will pop up. Simply press "continue" and delete all the files from the folder.

(None of these files are used by your PC, it's just excessive data sitting in your PC taking up both space and slowing down the device)

Restart the computer and check if that makes a difference.

I hope that helps.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thanks it helped a bit. might have to format it but for now works

thanks again!

HP Recommended

@rohan98 I suggest you create a backup before you format it and I'm glad I could help you with that bit. 😉

feel free to get back to us anytime, if you have any other concerns.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.