Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen model number is Omen by HP 15-dc0051nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi.  I have an HP Omen model number is Omen by HP 15-dc0051nr with an 8750H i7.  It came with two storage drives, a 256 GB Samsung drive and a 1 TB HDD.  I'd like to upgrade the 256 GB Samsung drive with a larger SSD drive, 1 TB most likely, or else 2 TB.  However, I don't know exactly what type of 256 GB SSD Samsung drive is currently installed.  I assume the Omen 15 uses the same standards across all Omen 15's of my model number, but it would be great if someone could tell me the options I have for a new SSD drive, mostly the type of drive.  I was looking at a Western Digital drive that seems decent but I'm hoping someone can tell me if it will fit in this laptop.  The drive is at https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-black-sn750-nvme-ssd#WDS100T3X0C   

Also, any tips for anything I need to do after installing it, such as firmware upgrade would also be greatly appreciated.

I have an almost identical HP Omen of the same configuration as above but one year newer with an 9750H i7.  If you would know if it could also take the same WD drive (if that one fits the model above) it would be great to know so I could also replace that SSD. 

Thanks so much!!!

VRPeter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @VRPeter,

Yeah, the Maintenance and Service Guide lists that it'll support an "M.2 PCIe/SATA solid-state drive." 

The drive you linked should theoretically work but users on this forum have reported that some third party NVMe drives have issues so the only thing you can do is to test it out and try it.

Or, you also have options from Crucial which are guaranteed compatible, if you scroll all the way down.

For replacement procedures, you do have the Maintenance and Service Guide, starting from page 39, and you may also be able to find a relevant video on the HP Support YouTube channel. However, without the proper safety precautions and experience, computer part replacements can go terribly. Therefore, if you do not feel confident, I highly recommend you find a technician at a local computer repair shop. 

Once you install the new SSD, you can reinstall Windows 10 using the Windows Media Creation Tool. Select Download Tool now and ensure you have a USB Flash Drive of at least 8GB. 

Hope that helps.

Please note that any damage incurred through the normal usage or upgrade process of a user will most likely not be covered under HP's standard manufacturing warranty unless an additional ADP (Accidental Damage Protection) plan was purchased.

Please Accept as Solution if this answered your question.

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @VRPeter,

Yeah, the Maintenance and Service Guide lists that it'll support an "M.2 PCIe/SATA solid-state drive." 

The drive you linked should theoretically work but users on this forum have reported that some third party NVMe drives have issues so the only thing you can do is to test it out and try it.

Or, you also have options from Crucial which are guaranteed compatible, if you scroll all the way down.

For replacement procedures, you do have the Maintenance and Service Guide, starting from page 39, and you may also be able to find a relevant video on the HP Support YouTube channel. However, without the proper safety precautions and experience, computer part replacements can go terribly. Therefore, if you do not feel confident, I highly recommend you find a technician at a local computer repair shop. 

Once you install the new SSD, you can reinstall Windows 10 using the Windows Media Creation Tool. Select Download Tool now and ensure you have a USB Flash Drive of at least 8GB. 

Hope that helps.

Please note that any damage incurred through the normal usage or upgrade process of a user will most likely not be covered under HP's standard manufacturing warranty unless an additional ADP (Accidental Damage Protection) plan was purchased.

Please Accept as Solution if this answered your question.

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

Thank you so much!!  I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question!!!   Very thoughtful. 

One thing, It would take forever for me to reinstall what's on the C drive (boot) as it references stuff all over the place, many many TBs, so I was hoping to back it up to an external drive and then install it to the new drive.  I'm guessing the Omen 15 doesn't support 3 internal drives, so hopefully there's some way to boot to the clone software to move it from the external drive to the new drive.  I hope I'm not setting myself up for failure.    I guess I need to familiarize myself with backup and cloning software to see if it can do what I'm hoping for, preferably a free version 🙂   Perhaps someone out there knows.

HP Recommended

Actually, I guess you already answered that by telling me about loading windows onto the new drive, sorry, and thanks again!

- Peter

HP Recommended

A BIOS Update wouldnt hurt.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.