Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15 en-0002ax
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm having 8Gb single channel ram variant of Omen 15 and I want to upgrade it to 16Gb dual channel, so if I upgrade my ram will it voids my warranty? If not, suggest me some 8Gb 3200mhz ram.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello @Kronu5 

Adding ram wont void the hp warranty, but the new ram wont be covered by HP. If the new ram or your installing it breaks something in the process, the warranty would become void.

It was easy to add extra ram to the older systems as they only used ram rated at 2400. Compatibility wasn't to much of a problem.

But its been an issue with users adding more 3200 speed ram to an HP that comes with 3200. Lots of times, the motherboard doesn't like the chipset(?) of the new ram and defaults its speed back down to 2400. Its not just about only matching timings anymore to get compatible ram. You cannot change the XMP settings in the HP bios to fix it either.

Sellers like Crucial Memory guarantee theirs to work, but they have had many complaints of theirs not working at 3200 with HP and similar MFG's with fixed bio's (its not just HP having this issue).

If you want 3200 speed ram, its best to buy a machine with the capacity already installed. You can try purchasing the HP ram via the HP store, but HP charges such a premium price, its not really worth it.

My opinion is that You will most likely not find an affordable solution to add 3200 ram without problems. Some users simply return new machines for ones with the ram already upgraded. If you dont care if it runs at 2400, then adding is no problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.