Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming 15-dk2000 Laptop PC (2P1Z8AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Just accepted the update for Windows 11 2H22, Got as far as reboot and now presents me with HP logo and spinning circle. Tried multiple reboots and then F2 Recovery, this is where I see the Driver PNP Watchdog error, eventually, after watching "Please Wait" for 5 minutes or so.

Also booted from Win 11 bootable USB, Troubleshoot, Start-Up Repair couldn't, uninstall updates - quality update does nothing, feature update "ran into a problem", System Restore asks me to reboot & select OS? Only 1 installed? But still returns to spinning logo and ultimately Driver PNP Watchdog stopcode.

I appear to be stuck in a loop. Would reinstall but not sure if I can, not knowing my windows activation key.

Anyone else encountered this from the 2h22 update and solved it? Or is it just me 🙂

Edit: Starting to think it might be the storage drivers (18.07.0.1002 Rev.A) - trying a clean install does not recognise the drive, installing drivers causes either no drives found or the pnp watchdog error.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Paul.

Sorry, that didn't work for you, and I am surprised by that.

The only other suggestion I can offer would be to see if your PC is supported by the HP cloud recovery tool which you can use on another PC running W7 64 bit or newer and a 32 GB USB flash drive to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall Windows, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use the utility...

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool in Windows 11 and 10 | HP® Customer Support

The thing is...you have to manually enter your notebook's product number in the cloud recovery tool's search box and the product number you posted is for the entire 15-dk2xxx model series.

Within that product number are many different individual models with their own product number.

See if you can find out the exact model number of your notebook by looking in the BIOS' system information window, or maybe you already know what it is.

Since the PC you have is sold in the UK, it will have these three characters after the # sign:  ABU

If it is not supported, then I don't have any other ideas for you to try because normally you just need to install the RST driver for the Intel 11th gen core processors.

You could try the latest driver from Intel in the hope that it will work.  Use the zip file.

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver Installation Software with Intel® Optane™ Memory (11th and 12...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi, @Paul_A_S 

If your notebook has an Intel 11th gen core processor, there is a special process needed to clean install W10/W11 on notebooks with the Intel 11th gen core processors...

See the info at the link below.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-15-f2000-laptop-pc-series/35900344/model/35900346/document/c...

Here is the link to the driver you need...

This package contains the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver for the supported notebook models and operating systems. The Intel Rapid Storage Technology is designed to provide functionality for the Intel Storage Controllers. The driver improves Serial ATA (SATA) disk performance with Native Command Queuing.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp135501-136000/sp135979.exe 

There is an error in that document, and that is where HP tells you to right click on the Intel driver file and select Extract to

When I ran through the steps, I don't get an Extract to option when I right click on the file.

You will probably have the same issue.  Download and install the free 7-zip file utility from the link below.

The 1st file at the top of the page is for 64 bit.

7-Zip (7-zip.org)

Then you can right click on the exe file, select 7-Zip from the menu, and select Extract to:  and let it extract the file into its folder name (sp135979), and copy that folder to your USB flash drive, and continue with the instructions.

Then you can install the drivers and available software from the support page.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thank you for taking the time to help with my issue.

I tried the driver you suggested on both Win 11 & Win 10 bootable, and sadly, selecting the driver within the SP F6 folder  just presented me with the same result as the drivers already tested from the HP support site. I select the driver and the green loading bar loops repeatedly for a prolonged period (a few minutes) with no drives being displayed and eventually the Driver_PNP_Watchdog message.

Have also tried SP140527 (18.07.0.1002 Rev.A Jun 3, 2022) & 141130 (18.07.0.1002 Rev.A Jul 20, 2022)

So either I am looking at the wrong drivers specifically for my system or I'm missing something else equally basic to the correct operation of that controller.

Not entirely sure where to go from here, do not have a backup to go to, and couldn't boot to use it anyway and don't think there's anything in the EFI that can help.

Either way, hindsight is kicking me for not waiting to update... heh

Again, many thanks for trying to assist, it's appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Paul.

Sorry, that didn't work for you, and I am surprised by that.

The only other suggestion I can offer would be to see if your PC is supported by the HP cloud recovery tool which you can use on another PC running W7 64 bit or newer and a 32 GB USB flash drive to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall Windows, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use the utility...

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool in Windows 11 and 10 | HP® Customer Support

The thing is...you have to manually enter your notebook's product number in the cloud recovery tool's search box and the product number you posted is for the entire 15-dk2xxx model series.

Within that product number are many different individual models with their own product number.

See if you can find out the exact model number of your notebook by looking in the BIOS' system information window, or maybe you already know what it is.

Since the PC you have is sold in the UK, it will have these three characters after the # sign:  ABU

If it is not supported, then I don't have any other ideas for you to try because normally you just need to install the RST driver for the Intel 11th gen core processors.

You could try the latest driver from Intel in the hope that it will work.  Use the zip file.

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver Installation Software with Intel® Optane™ Memory (11th and 12...

HP Recommended

Ok, 2 things, first, apparently my google-fu has become ruisty, this is exactly what I was wishing I had access to before my first post. Second, I'm at the booting into Windows 10 stage now, which is good enough for me to know I have a process available to me now if it goes wrong again -I think I shall hold out on the Win 11 update and enjoy the view from Win 10 for a while.

tl;dr - The cloud recovery worked and I am extremely grateful for your efforts Paul 😄

I'll go ahead and mark this as solved / closed.

Many Thanks,

Paul.

HP Recommended

Anytime, Paul.

Glad to have been of assistance,

Cheers,

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.