Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 17 – W273nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The latest Windows 10 update is causing resolution issues (Alternating1/4 Display  and Blinking Black Screen) with the login window and even after login.

My OMEN17 notebook defaults in a 3840 by 2160 display resolution and I have to change it to 1920 by 1080 for certain software that do not support that resolution. In the past I could keep it at 1920 by 1080 and login with no issues after shutting down or restarting.

With the latest updates however, if I set the display settings to 1920 by 1080 and shutdown or restart the notebook, the login screen will appear to be either completely black or displaying the full login window within 1/4 of the notebook screen while leaving the rest black. These two displays will then alternate every few seconds, during which I am unable to see the cursor although I can type in my password and login. Even if I am able to login however, the screen continues to alternate between the black screen and the 1/4 sized desktop window and I am unable to see the cursor to change the display settings back to 3840 by 2160. The only workaround currently is to start in low resolution mode and change the resolution back before restarting again.

I only found out what was causing the problem after multiple resets; I initially thought the update corrupted the graphics driver so after calling up HP support I was instructed to reset the computer and reinstall windows. This has however, not fixed the issue even though  I block windows from updating itself. 

Any support will be much appreciated, thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Elteras

Welcome to the HP support community.

Update the Bios, chipset and graphics drivers using HP Support Assistant.

Download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: Click here

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Also ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Perhaps I did not make myself clear but it is precisely an update that has caused the problem. Suggesting that I update my drivers to solve a problem caused by updates is kinda pointless isn't it?

HP Recommended

@Elteras

Run an Extensive system test to check for hardware failures.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

4. Click Extensive Test.

5. Click Run once, or Loop until error. While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are shown on the screen.

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem.  However, due to the black screen, and limited 1/4 screen, I'm unable to access the update software on my laptop.  Any suggestion on how to update those items, bios, graphics etc. when the machine boots into a limited 1/4 screen but is usually a black screen??

HP Recommended

The only workaround I have now is to boot in low resolution mode (or safe mode), then change the resolution to the desired settings. Just remember to change the display settings to 3840 by 2160 before you shut down/restart or it is likely you will encounter the issue again. 

It has nothing to do with driver failure because my laptop runs perfectly fine apart from this issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.