Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Laptop 15-dc0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I bought 2x Crucial 8GB DDR4-2666 SODIMM (CT8G4SFS8266) when I insert them both I'm having a blank/black screen caps lock light on but when I insert just 1 of any of them it works fine. Hope someone can help

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@KobeTheChow Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that after installing the RAM the screen goes blank.

Your device is only compatible with the below details:

• Dual-channel memory architecture

• DDR4-2666 Dual Channel Support

Please make sure that both have the same speed. Please try to interchange the ram and check for the issue.

However, if you've made sure the above is compatible as per the above information and yet the issue persists, I recommend you run a hardware test on the device using the Hardware diagnostic test - by tapping on F2 key during the restart of the PC and get back to us with the results of the test.

Click here for steps on how to perform the extensive test on the memory modules and the motherboard (system test)

Let me know how that pans out

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

All Fast Test Pass

HP Recommended

@KobeTheChow 

Thank you for the update.

When you get a blank screen, does the system beep?

What happens when you only install the NEW module? (in both slots)

What does the NEW module say on the sticker (eg PC3L-12800s)

HP Recommended

No beep I think...but the caps lock is on

As I said earlier both ram and slots is fine the problem is when I installed them both at the same time

The warranty sticker on the ram CT8G4SFS8266 8GB DDR4-2666 SODIMM 1.2V CL19(the other one is installed on my laptop but they are the same model)

HP Recommended

@KobeTheChow

I understand your concerns.

Please use the following tool to check HP specs. If not the same specs the RAM won't work, simple like that.

http://download.cpuid.com/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.77-en.exe

You can also use Crucial check mow, it will definitely come out with different specs. ALL CRUCIAL RAM sticks are NOT the same. One more thing: HP doesn't use Crucial RAM on HP machines till now:

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.