Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dk0047tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can I upgrade from a HDD to SSD. I do not want a hard drive in my laptop. If I do it myself will it void the warranty?

And what is the maximum ram I can upgrade it to?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Can I upgrade from a HDD to SSD?

Yes, you can upgrade to an M.2 NVMe SSD and/or you can also swap the HDD for a 2.5 inch Sata SSD.

If you install an M.2 drive, keep the HDD or Sata SSD disconnected during the OS install. Once you verify it works, you can add the other drive.

Will it void the warranty?

Depends. It wont void anything as long as you don't damage anything in the process. If you have to return it for a warranty claim, you will want to swap out the SSD for the original HDD first. If the laptop were to be replaced, you would lose your SSD.

what is the maximum ram I can upgrade it to?

32 GB total. DDR4 2666 SODIMM memory. But if you plan on keeping the original 8GB stick in the laptop, you need to match the timing of it with the new additional stick of 8GB ram. Use a tool like CPUz to read the exact timings, then grab a new stick that matches it. Otherwise it will not run in dual channel.

Yours might only have DDR4 2400 installed. But its nothing to worry about. The difference between 2400 and 2666 is so small, you will never see the difference.

Also, I have seen some users install all new ram that was DDR4 2666, yet the system down clocked it to default DDR4 2400. If this happens to you, there is no setting you can fix to change this. Just so you know.

Here is your manual that shows how to access the parts...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06377664

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Can I upgrade from a HDD to SSD?

Yes, you can upgrade to an M.2 NVMe SSD and/or you can also swap the HDD for a 2.5 inch Sata SSD.

If you install an M.2 drive, keep the HDD or Sata SSD disconnected during the OS install. Once you verify it works, you can add the other drive.

Will it void the warranty?

Depends. It wont void anything as long as you don't damage anything in the process. If you have to return it for a warranty claim, you will want to swap out the SSD for the original HDD first. If the laptop were to be replaced, you would lose your SSD.

what is the maximum ram I can upgrade it to?

32 GB total. DDR4 2666 SODIMM memory. But if you plan on keeping the original 8GB stick in the laptop, you need to match the timing of it with the new additional stick of 8GB ram. Use a tool like CPUz to read the exact timings, then grab a new stick that matches it. Otherwise it will not run in dual channel.

Yours might only have DDR4 2400 installed. But its nothing to worry about. The difference between 2400 and 2666 is so small, you will never see the difference.

Also, I have seen some users install all new ram that was DDR4 2666, yet the system down clocked it to default DDR4 2400. If this happens to you, there is no setting you can fix to change this. Just so you know.

Here is your manual that shows how to access the parts...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06377664

HP Recommended

Thankyou very much!

The one I got is 2666mhz. Can you please suggest a ram(8gb) that would go perfectly with my system.

HP Recommended

Actually no I cant. Re-read my statement above about finding the timings. Only you can do that.

YOU have to find what the timings are of your memory stick first.

mem timings cpuz.JPG

HP Recommended

Download CPUz and unzip the file to run it.

https://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.89-en.zip

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your help!

HP Recommended

IF you have a hard time finding a new stick to match, NewEggs website usually posts the full timings of ram. I usually go there first to hunt for memory this way.

https://www.newegg.com/Laptop-Memory/SubCategory/ID-381?cm_sp=CAT_Memory_2-_-VisNav-_-Laptop-Memory

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.