Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP-15dh0136tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Cannot install an optional update for 101/102  keys hotkey function(for my laptop its the omen command center key, its not working)

the update shows as installed, but it keeps showing upon optional updates in settings(which means its not installed)

i provided a screenshot showing the description of the update. Any help is appreciated! Also the tdp gets back to a low 36 watts, when heavy applications are used, my system has an i7- 9750h the tdp of which is 45watts!
it shows  in installed updates, but the notifiication keeps showing, the omen key also isn't workingit shows in installed updates, but the notifiication keeps showing, the omen key also isn't working

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@V_Shyavasya_5 Here's a few other things that may help: 

1. Click the Start button, then click Run. 
  2. In the Run window, next to Open, type MSCONFIG. 
  3. Press the ENTER key. 
  4. In the System Configuration Utility window, click the Startup tab. 
  5. On the Startup tab, under Startup Item, ensure that there is a check in the HKserv checkbox. Clicking here

NOTE: If HKserv is missing, reinstall the Hot-Key Utility application by 

If the above doesn't help, please create another User account as suggested earlier and try again.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@V_Shyavasya_5

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Firstly, perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant: (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) 

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've already checked for windows update and I use the HP support assistant regularly! In the HP support assistant it shows all the drivers are up to date!

HP Recommended

@V_Shyavasya_5

Thank you for posting back. 

Let's try the next step, BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Already did try, but nothing

HP Recommended

@V_Shyavasya_5 Here's a few other things that may help: 

1. Click the Start button, then click Run. 
  2. In the Run window, next to Open, type MSCONFIG. 
  3. Press the ENTER key. 
  4. In the System Configuration Utility window, click the Startup tab. 
  5. On the Startup tab, under Startup Item, ensure that there is a check in the HKserv checkbox. Clicking here

NOTE: If HKserv is missing, reinstall the Hot-Key Utility application by 

If the above doesn't help, please create another User account as suggested earlier and try again.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

WILL TRY AND POST THE REPLY

HP Recommended

By enabling HP Host launcher in startup, the omen key is somehow working, your input helped, thanks!

HP Recommended

@V_Shyavasya_5

Thank you for posting back. 

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. Please reach out again for any further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Capture.PNG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.