Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 15-dc0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

my cpu is overheating but my gpu is fine. this is only happening recently.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@habib08 Greetings from the HP Community!

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: 

Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Meanwhile, Click here for steps to resolve overheating issues, you could try reducing the resolution on the in-game settings and switch the windows settings to performance rather than visual effects to make a minor change, however, the game may heat up your PC, hence make sure you are using a cooling pad as well, to be on a safer side.

Here's how you change windows settings:

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings.
  • Type performance > choose to Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.
  • In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance.
  • click Apply and Ok...this should do the trick.

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us, 

have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

my product number is : 3ZV36EA#ABU

my laptop is already on that setting and it hasnt helped much. the graphics settings are on low for most games however even though i get 60 frames the frames drop to 0 every couple of seconds making them unplayable. ive tried many things to resolve this leading to me finding out that the cpu is reaching 97 degrees and stays there. this never happened before.

also which cooling pad would you recommend for my laptop

HP Recommended

@habib08 Here are some of the best cooling pads available, although, we don't endorse any of these, you may get the same at your own discretion:

• Thermaltake Massive 20 RGB.
  • Tree New Bee Gaming Laptop Cooler.
  • Deepcool N80 RGB.
  • TopMate 12 Laptop Cooler.
  • Targus Lap Chill Mat.
  • Thermaltake Massive 23 GT.
  • Klim Cool+

Or this one from HP (Store)

Aluratek Slim USB Laptop Cooling Pad (Red)

That said, I must let you know that its normal for a gaming PC to heat up, and with an Intel CPU such as the one you have, there's nothing to worry about, for details on why you don't need to worry: Click here to go through the CPU specifications, look under Tjunction of the CPU, it supports up to 100°C.

Also, I suggest you create a new user account and check if that helps with the FPS drops.

Keep us posted.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thank you for the list. i will soon buy one to see if it helps me with the heating.

i also do understand that this laptop is able to survive at high temperatures however that is not the problem. the problem is that the heating is unusual as it didn't happen before. it is a recent change which is worrying me as there may be something going wrong for this to happen.

finally where should i create a new user on. steam or do you mean the actual log in for the laptop and if so how do i do this. Thank for your help. i really appreciate this

HP Recommended

@habib08 I know what you mean, its possible a recent update has not been installed properly and ended up causing this issue, that said, creating a new user account may help sort that issue as well, here's the steps to create a new user account: click here for more details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.