Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen cb0090nr cb0050nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

What are the differences between these two models

cb0090nr cb0050nr

I can see they have different installed drives but what else is different?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The description at amazon says they both have mini DP.

Ya, that's what I figured since both use the same chassis setup.

It only has the ability to use one 2.5 inch HDD, but it has two M.2 slots.

Page 32 of the manual shows an illustration... http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06367528

It would be cheaper in the long run to go for the 50 in your case. If a unit didn't come with the factory installed HDD, the brackets and harness will be missing.

With that said, I always recommend you open the case and look for the M.2 ports first. If HP didn't populate both slots with drives at the factory, that M.2 port might be missing (never got soldered into the motherboard). Its that way with any model laptop.  If you also wish to upgrade the 1TB HDD with another, that works too. But take note that the new HDD will not exceed 9.5mm. Some 4TB and larger drives are 15mm and too thick to fit.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Ed4949 

Yes the only real difference between the two is:

The 17-cb0050nr has a 256GB NVMe M.2 drive and a 1TB HDD and one Mini DP.

The 17-cb0090nr has a 512GB NVMe M.2 drive. No mention of Mini DP which is odd because the chassis is the same setup. Battery weighs a couple ounces more but that wouldn't make sense as they both use the same battery.

Everything else is pretty much the same.

Click the links above to see their full spec sheet PDF's and compare all the specs yourself.

HP Recommended

Thanks. The description at amazon says they both have mini DP. The 90 is about 30 to 40 cheaper than the 50 and that seems like a poor trade for the difference in storage which made me think there must be something else on the 90 that's at least a nudge better than the 50.

The 50 comes with 256 GB pcie(r) nvme(tm) M.2 SSD, and 1 TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD.  If I wanted to add another TB, would I have to replace one of those or is there an extra slot?

HP Recommended

The description at amazon says they both have mini DP.

Ya, that's what I figured since both use the same chassis setup.

It only has the ability to use one 2.5 inch HDD, but it has two M.2 slots.

Page 32 of the manual shows an illustration... http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06367528

It would be cheaper in the long run to go for the 50 in your case. If a unit didn't come with the factory installed HDD, the brackets and harness will be missing.

With that said, I always recommend you open the case and look for the M.2 ports first. If HP didn't populate both slots with drives at the factory, that M.2 port might be missing (never got soldered into the motherboard). Its that way with any model laptop.  If you also wish to upgrade the 1TB HDD with another, that works too. But take note that the new HDD will not exceed 9.5mm. Some 4TB and larger drives are 15mm and too thick to fit.

Hope that helps.

HP Recommended

That's great. Thanks for the info. Would they likely take it back if the slot was missing? If I just wanted to added the second M2 drive, would I have to worry about compatibility or should any of the usual brands work as long as it's the M2 type. Maintenance guide shows 1 TB, PCIe, Gen 3 × 4 so I presume I just look for PCie Gen 3 X 4.

HP Recommended

Pretty much any brand m.2 should work. Yes you want NVMe and get the largest capacity you can afford. 

HP Recommended

PS: i dont know the policy for the missing slot. But if its brand new, you have the right to return it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.