Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15-5013tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I've recently bought a 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO SSD to replace the 256 Gb Sandisk SSD that came with my now aging but still working laptop.

I've made several attempts to copy the old harddrive onto the new one, and swap it out with the new one. I've been using a USB M.2 eclosure with the new drive, as there is only the single M.2 port in the Omen 15. I've cloned the old hard drive using both the Samsung Backup tool, and using Macrium Reflect, and each time when I try to install the new drive, I get the "OS Not Found" error on bootup.

• The new SSD is seen easily by Windows when the old drive is installed and the new drive is in the caddy
  • BIOS doesn't see the new drive when it is installed in the laptop
  • when old SSD is in caddy, and new SSD is in laptop, laptop will not boot - even with USB device having priority (get the "OS not found" error.
  • Tried with both Legacy and UEFI setting selected in the BIOS - no difference
  • installing a new version of Windows on the new drive as a clean install doesn't work as the windows installer doesn't see the new drive
  • I have not been able to find on any site if the Samsung EVO 970 is or is not compatible with the Omen 15-5013

Any suggestions??

Mikey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK all, for those that follow, I've found the problem.

Turns out the entire HP Omen 15-5000 series laptop range (mine is a 15-5013tx) does not support NVMe at all. The M.2 ports it has have only M.2 SATA support, not M.2 PCIe. It does not say this anywhere on the documentation.

So if you have this laptop you need the M.2 SATA SSDs. Those are the ones with two 'notches' on the connector side, the M and B notches.

I bought a 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO and that is working perfectly.

Mikey

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@m_coombes

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

As per the Service Guide: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04620176, this Notebook can support up to 512 GB SSD

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

OK all, for those that follow, I've found the problem.

Turns out the entire HP Omen 15-5000 series laptop range (mine is a 15-5013tx) does not support NVMe at all. The M.2 ports it has have only M.2 SATA support, not M.2 PCIe. It does not say this anywhere on the documentation.

So if you have this laptop you need the M.2 SATA SSDs. Those are the ones with two 'notches' on the connector side, the M and B notches.

I bought a 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO and that is working perfectly.

Mikey

HP Recommended

Hi there CrazyToad,

Thanks very much for looking into this problem for me. Alas though, the potential issue you've suggested is not what has been my problem.

I did initially think that it was an addressing space issue but couldn't work out why that would be the case. I've seen addressing space issues when technology moved from 16 bit addresses, to 32 bit (I'm old and have been in IT since the early 90s) and that almost always meant that the BIOS did not read the size of the new HDD correctly when it was blank. Also FYI that extract does not match any manuals that I've found - that looks like a build list for a more recent version than the 15-5013tx . Storage is storage after all and that didn't explain why it was correctly seen with full correct volume size when unpartitioned and not seen when partitioned.

I did some trial and error and it turns out it was simply that the mobo doesn't support (or doesn't fully support at least) M.2 PCIe. It works when I used a M.2 SATA SSD with the M and B notches.

Thank you again though for looking and for being helpful! People like you rock 🙂

Mikey

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.