Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 17

hi

i'm having an issue where i am unable to output games in 4k to my TV. the cable is compliant, as is the TV so these are not the issues. the laptop is capable (i7&2070sup) and will output to the TV at 1080/60 fine but the system crashes if i try to change any games to output in 4k. i've had a look through the settings and cant see what i'm missing. Drivers and system have been updated. 

any help appreciated, thanks in advance.  

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Mnena 

What is your Omen 17 ? How do you connect them ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

OMEN  17-cb1008na, connected via high speed  HDMI to a Sony TV capable of 4k/60

HP Recommended

@Mnena 

Its specs

https://support.hp.com/za-en/document/c06677992

It has  1 HDMI 2.0a port.  You should be able to get 4K @ 60Hz similar to my HP Omen. I'm using HDMI version 2 cable to connect them.  My TV is a 65" 4K Panasonic 4 years old which has 4 HDMI ports BUT only one port uses HDMI 2. Please check your TV.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I'm aware of this, my TV is the same, it's the correct port and cable,  if I set the resolution on the laptop to 4k, the desktop displays fine (ie tiny icons) but no game will load. In game options for the Witcher for example don't even offer 4k resolution, only 1080.  I wonder if there is some display seeing I'm missing.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I've figured this out myself, and will post the solution incase anyone else has the same issue.

Turns out to output in 4k you need to turn off the laptop screen and set it to only output to the second device (ie TV). The game then can render in 4k. It messes with the desktop (icons go huge and there no way to change them) but works fine in-game.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.