Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Hp pavillion gaming 15-ec0059ax
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I tried several way to find out where the kayboard backlight setting was, but i could find it. went to the BIOS for the advanced settings but it wasn't there. Tried to uninstall the keyboard driver and install it back but it was still the same. Tried searching for the settings but it wasn't there. So are they any ways to set my keyboard backlight to stay lit? 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@mikeoxlong

Welcome to the HP support community.

The proximity sensor uses Proximity Sensor Control software to change the keyboard lighting behavior. If you are not satisfied with the way the proximity sensor is responding, try adjusting these settings to suit your needs: 

1. To open the Proximity Sensor Control software click Start, All Programs, HP Proximity Sensor, HP and select HP Proximity Sensor. 

2. Click the Sensitivity (Range) button to select either Maximum or Minimum range. Selecting Maximum will cause the keyboard to illuminate more often than the Minimum setting as the proximity sensor will be more sensitive. 

3. Click the Delay until off button and select one of the following delay times: 

1. 10 Second(s) 

2. 1 Minute(s) 

3. 3 Minute(s) 

4. The time you select is the time it takes for the keyboard illumination to turn off when not in use. 

5. Click Apply. 

6. Click OK to return to the Windows desktop. 

For more details: Click here 

For shortcuts and information about turning a Backlit Keyboard On or Off: Click here 

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I went to my laptop settings, and tried finding the proximity sensor. But it wasn't there, and i went and surf the internet for more information about the proximity sensor on laptops. Turns out, Hp envy has it not Hp pavilion gaming laptops. So is there anymore ways to have access on my keyboard backlight settings?

HP Recommended

@mikeoxlong I hope you know that not all keyboards have an option to use the timeout feature by design, that's only available on limited devices, that said, here's all you need to know about using the backlight of your keyboard:

Toggle backlight settings:

If your notebook computer has a backlit keyboard, press the F5 or F4 (some models) key on the keyboard to turn the light on or off. It might be necessary to press the fn (function) key at the same time.

If the backlight icon  is not on the F5 key, look for the backlit keyboard key on the row of function keys.

Backlit keyboard key and fn keys highlighted

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem. I have a new Pavilion Gaming 15 and still have a year old z book work station. I was able to set the work station keyboard to stay always on through the bios guide that was previously shared but on the Pavilion Gaming 15, the BIOS doesn't present an area to select the keyboard back light function. Any assistance would be much appreciated. 

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01612362 This is the link I am referring to. My BIOS in the Pavilion doesn't present this way. 

HP Recommended

@chollow2

Welcome to the HP support community.

When did this issue start?

Did you do any changes to the notebook?

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I got the laptop yesterday and its never had that bios feature available that I've used before and linked in my previous e mail. I even downloaded the updated  bios driver hoping my bios just needed updating but no  change. 

HP Recommended

@chollow2

That option is not available on this computer.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Please stop giving us bad advises about that tutorial above is not working. I think you are paid on the number of the response you give and to truly help us.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.