Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

My hdd quit and I want to upgrade. Is my hp notebook 15-af131dx ssd compatible, and what's a good drive in the $50 range? I'll also reinstall windows 10 64bit, cheapest source for a cd? I'm changing the fan out with a new one. Possibly add an internal Bluetooth, this computer supprisingly didn't have one. I have 16 gb's of ram. Any other things I can upgrade for gaming purposes? I know it's not gonna help much, but I hope the SSD helps my games run smoother. Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

For a 500 GB SSD, I recommend this one, which currently has the best performance for the price, in my opinion.

Amazon.com: Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, up to 560MB/s - CT500MX500SSD1 :...

My first choice would have been the WD Blue 2.5" but that price has risen to $69.99.

Bluetooth is an integral part of the wifi adapter.  Wifi cards come with or without Bluetooth, or you can buy a USB Bluetooth adapter.

You can upgrade to this internal wifi/Bluetooth card which is also dual band.

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11 ac 1x1 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported) HP part # L17365-005.

The card has a maximum throughput of 433 MBPS on the 5.0 GHz Wi-Fi band with an AC router and an excellent signal.

You can find this model on eBay, or Ali Express. 

I see some Intel 3165 cards listed on the eBay listings, so don't buy those.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=L17365-005&_sacat=0&_sop=15

RTL8821CE - Buy RTL8821CE with free shipping on AliExpress

On the Ali Express listings, make sure the card has the HP Part # of 915620-001.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the Wi-Fi card removal and replacement procedure.

HP Notebook PC (AMD)HP 255 G4 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide

Operating system...you can reinstall W10 for free by making a bootable USB installer with the media creation tool from the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP Notebook - 15-af131dx (ENERGY STAR) Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

For a 500 GB SSD, I recommend this one, which currently has the best performance for the price, in my opinion.

Amazon.com: Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, up to 560MB/s - CT500MX500SSD1 :...

My first choice would have been the WD Blue 2.5" but that price has risen to $69.99.

Bluetooth is an integral part of the wifi adapter.  Wifi cards come with or without Bluetooth, or you can buy a USB Bluetooth adapter.

You can upgrade to this internal wifi/Bluetooth card which is also dual band.

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11 ac 1x1 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported) HP part # L17365-005.

The card has a maximum throughput of 433 MBPS on the 5.0 GHz Wi-Fi band with an AC router and an excellent signal.

You can find this model on eBay, or Ali Express. 

I see some Intel 3165 cards listed on the eBay listings, so don't buy those.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=L17365-005&_sacat=0&_sop=15

RTL8821CE - Buy RTL8821CE with free shipping on AliExpress

On the Ali Express listings, make sure the card has the HP Part # of 915620-001.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the Wi-Fi card removal and replacement procedure.

HP Notebook PC (AMD)HP 255 G4 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide

Operating system...you can reinstall W10 for free by making a bootable USB installer with the media creation tool from the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP Notebook - 15-af131dx (ENERGY STAR) Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

I bought the 500 gb and a new fan. Easy install. Anyway to install windows 10 without a disk with only a phone or tablet? 

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, there would be no way that I know of to do that.

You are going to need to find another PC to create the installation media with.

HP Recommended

I'm attempting to install windows xp to get windows 10. Everytime it gets to the "starting  windows" after file download, it blue screens. Do I have to format this new drive? It passed quick check. Included pic.

IMG_20220319_152813.jpg

HP Recommended

The reason you are getting that error is because WXP does not have the SATA controller driver needed in order to install and since your hands are pretty much tied not having another PC to use, you cannot slipstream the necessary SATA controller drivers for WXP to see the hard drive.

The only other way to get the drivers installed would be to use a USB floppy disk drive and floppy disk.

HP Recommended

Cheapest place for a Windows 10 64 bit disk? I'd prefer a disk for this reason.

HP Recommended

I recommend you find a friend or relative to make a disk or bootable flash drive for you.

I don't think that microsoft sells W10 via a DVD and you would pay a fortune.

Check eBay and see if someone has a just a W10 installation DVD for sale.

windows 10 installation dvd: Search Result | eBay

You don't need the product key or license.

HP Recommended

I disconnected the new SSD and connected an external  wd disk drive. It has usb and usb 2 connections, the actual drive is a sata though. I got the same result. Error 7b. Thought it might work, wasn't sure. Any thoughts, I'm gonna order a disc anyway.....

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I don't.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.