Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP 15-be100 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

I called phone number that came up for HP support and was told I had virus and cost me over $500 to fix, I think this was false and not HP  how do I contact HP or someone to help me?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi

A local police report?

HP Recommended

How do I find out if the tech that I talked to is Hp or fraud.

HP Recommended

Hi

A moderator may take some details from you, but it does sound like a criminal act to me.

Can you stop / trace the payment?

HP Recommended

I could try and stop payment this morning, it is only  3 30 am,  how can I be sure it was not HP tech?  The invoice says Globaltech. 

HP Recommended

Hi

STOP the payment.

Run Malwarebytes.

If it ws genuine, you can always re-pay later.

HP Recommended

Ok, I will start with stopping payment.  Thank You, this is all new to me.

HP Recommended

Prego.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

The scam that I had happen was not from the tech calling me, I went on HP web for a problem with my HP printer and the phone number from that HP web that I called was not HP tech but told me he was, how do you trust HP web?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.